I am making a princess type cake for a friend's daughter's 16th birthday. I want to make a pillow cake with a tiara on top. She likes bright flourescent colors especially bright orange.
My original plan was to make the pillow hot pink with bright orange threading on the seams and orange tassles, with a gold tiara with pink(and maybe orange) jewels in it.
However, today I was in Micheals and found the perfect sized little jewels on clearance, but they are bright blue. So I thought bright blue and orange would be pretty too. But I'm thinking, if the tiara is gold with blue jewels, the pillow should maybe be blue with orange threading/tassles. Or should I do orange with blue tassels. Or should I drop the orange and do bright blue and hot pink? Or maybe I should try to work in all three colors? I can't figure out what would look the best!
What do you all think?
I would primarily use the orange/hot pink combo for the pillow, then use accents of the bright blue to add "pop" here and there.
I think the blue crystals on the tiara, and gold tassels with blue "cording" to wrap around the gold tassle fringes would look good.
Thanks! I didn't think about the cording to wrap the tassle fringes. How would you recommend doing hot pink/orange combo on the pillow?
Here's what I would do:
tiara: gold/gold luster dust with blue crystals
pillow: solid orange and brushed with gold luster dust, hot pink/gold twisted "cording" all around the edges
tassles: gold with gold luster dust, blue cord wrap
board: slightly fainter shade of hot pink with a painted or RI paisley or mendhi pattern, done in a slightly fainter shade of orange, do the Happy Birthday message in blue fondant in an Arabian-style font with a few gold dragees
HTH! Can't wait to see it!
I ended up with extra batter, so I added a 6 in tier. With the second tier, I just decided to do one orange and one pink. Here it is! I formed the tiara around a 5 inch pan, but I didn't realize that the bottom base was actually sitting on the rim of the pan instead of on the wax paper. So, of course when I tried to pull it off, it broke all to pieces! That was like a puzzle trying to fit it back together, and since I spent so much time on that, I didn't have time to add any details to the board.