Buttercream With Milk

Decorating By SueW Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm by greengyrl26

SueW Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 9

If a buttercream recipe contains milk can the cake sit out on display for a while? I wanted to use Indydebi's recipe but got paranoid about the cake sitting out a few hours. Is that a big deal because of the milk? Thanks for your help! I am making the largested cake I have ever made for someone and starting to panic icon_cry.gif

8 replies
tmelrose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 9

I use all butter buttercream with milk and we eat on ours for 3 days.

indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 9

I leave my icing out for days. It never gets refrigerated. The sugar stablizes the milk ... reduces the water activity. Water activity is what causes bacteria growth.

JanH can probably find the thread that explains the science behind it. I have it saved on my home computer, but I'm at school between classes right now. (and is she in the library studying? No-o-o-o-o!!! She's feeding her CC addiction!) icon_lol.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 9

i make all my buttercream with milk, only a small amount of course but, ive had the cake a week after it was made and its been fine

SueW Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much everyone! I always love how fast you jump in to help icon_biggrin.gif Your answers were just what I wanted to hear thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 9

whipping cream in american b/c is delicious also.. still can sit out.. better each day...

anamado Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

whipping cream in american b/c is delicious also.. still can sit out.. better each day...

Could you give us that recipe of yours???? Seems wonderful!!!!!

DelectabilityCakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I do the same thing.. I use heavy whipping cream instead of milk everytime.. it cuts down the sweetness of the buttercream too.

greengyrl26 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 9

hmmm...I use all butter BC with milk. Now I think I'm gonna have to test out the heavy whipping cream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%