How To Stack Cakes So It Won't Move

Decorating By mbarbi Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 10:28am by mbarbi

mbarbi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 16

hello...ive been watching video tutorials on youtube on how to stack cakes...i know that you should ice it on separate boards and put dowels...

my question is...after stacking all the cakes...with the boards underneath and the dowels...won't it move when i transport it?? am i supposed to put a very long dowel from the top tier to the bottom tier?? if ever im supposed to do it...how will the dowel penetrate the boards under each cake?? or are the dowels and boards under the cakes enough for my tiers not to move when i transport the cake??

thanks so much in advance for your replies. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 16

You definitely need a center dowel to transport, especially if more than two tiers. Sharpen your dowel to a very fine sharp point and it will push right through your boards. You can use a hammer very lightly if needed.

mbarbi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 16

thanks so much...i will try that. icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 16

related question: do you need to put a dowel through the center if you have some cake dummies? I'm planning on 10" round (real cake) with 8" and 6" round dummies on top.

metria Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 16

mbarbi, use a pencil sharpener

mbarbi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 16

hi metria...that's what im planning to do too...real cake on the bottom tier and dummies for the top tiers...so are we supposed to put towels through all the tiers?? won't it be hard to push the dowel from top to bottom??

metria Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 16

ya i wasn't sure if doweling through the dummy would ruin it? i was scared it'd split it and i'd be out the $5 i paid for it!

_Jamie_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 16

No dowels for the dummies guys! Piping gel or RI to stick them together.

metria Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 16

tyvm, much appreciated!

mbarbi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:42am
post #10 of 16

so the top tiers won't move if we put royal icing in between the tiers?? thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarbi

so the top tiers won't move if we put royal icing in between the tiers?? thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

The dummies won't move if you put regular BC between them. I'm not sure why everyone is fascinated with royal, because I never use it for anything cake. Never.

tarheelgirl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 16

What if you have a dummy on the bottom and 3 tiers on top? I was thinking of how you would get those 3 top tiers to stay in place on the dummy. Same concept of putting the "glue" on the dummy and stacking as usual with dowels? In my case SPS.. For example I have a bride that wants the 14" square dummy on the bottom and then we are doing 10,8,6 round tiers of real cake on top.

indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 16

I frequently transported cakes with a bottom dummy tier. I only used BC icing to hold the next upper tier in place on top of the dummy.

_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 16

Not fascinated with RI, it's just a cleaner procedure for me. It dries and won't move.

tarheelgirl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I frequently transported cakes with a bottom dummy tier. I only used BC icing to hold the next upper tier in place on top of the dummy.

oh, ok.. That is what I thought just had to ask. icon_biggrin.gif

mbarbi Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:28am
post #16 of 16

thanks very much for your replies icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%