Excited!

Business By jadedlogic Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm by Mme_K

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 8

I called City Hall today to find out about selling cakes from my home and spoke to several people and the by law office and they said it is illegal for any retail business to be conducted out of the home in my city, but I can bake them and deliver them. I asked if I need permits, licensing etc and they said no I just can't have the customer pick up the cakes.

So, if you see my cakes in my gallery I am just starting out doing cakes the only ones I have done are all shown in my gallery and I have only done them as gifts for family - but for the future I wanted to be sure if I choose too that this is something I can do icon_smile.gif

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 8

Hmmm. So you can't sell anything retail, but you can bake and deliver them? That makes no sense to me. So can you sell them? Or just bake cakes for other people? I'm just asking.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 8

Sounds similar to my township. My home is zoned 'non-impact' business, which means I can conduct business within my home (baking/decorating the cakes); however, no customer traffic allowed (pick-ups, tastings, etc)so not to disturb the neighborhood! All my cakes must be delivered. I had to obtain a permit from the township ($35 per year) along with license from Department of Agriculture ($30 per year)... and walaaa.... now I have JaimeCakes!!!
Congrats to you!! Wish you all the best!
~ Jaime

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug76

Sounds similar to my township. My home is zoned 'non-impact' business, which means I can conduct business within my home (baking/decorating the cakes); however, no customer traffic allowed (pick-ups, tastings, etc)so not to disturb the neighborhood! All my cakes must be delivered. I had to obtain a permit from the township ($35 per year) along with license from Department of Agriculture ($30 per year)... and walaaa.... now I have JaimeCakes!!!
Congrats to you!! Wish you all the best!
~ Jaime

Oooh, got it. dunce.gif Thank you.

Now if your asking if your cakes are good enough to sell, they are nice and the work looks very clean. You have plenty of time to develop more techniques to broaden your skills.

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 8

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well - that's exactly it people cannot come and pick them up because they would consider that a "retail business out of my home" which is not allowed.

Thank you for the well wishes and for the compliments on my cakes icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 8

Now you have to get ahold of the HD, or whatever it is in CA. The City will just give you the dos, and don'ts of operating a business in the city. It doesn't matter what kind of business as long as it's a legal one.

Mike

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

ps. walaa = voila

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 8

The Niagara Regional Health Department is in charge of inspections for food handling. You might want to check with them to see if they have any regulations that apply to home bakeries.
Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%