Best Way To Make A Face Guard For My Football Helmet..

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 2:56am by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 16

I guess gumpaste/fondant? Any suggestions on how to get it sturdy enough? Has anyone ever used krispy cereal? I need it to dry by Saturday. I am most concerned that the guard will not be the appropriate size once I put it up to the finished helmet. icon_cool.gif

15 replies
midnight_society Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midnight_society Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 16

Here's a helmet cake I made. I had some issues using fondant for the face guard (I didn't try gumpaste) so I ended up using pipe cleaners. Non-edible but worked in a pinch.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=389443

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 16

If you use Wilton premade gumpaste, it dries hard enough to support in a few hours, and completely overnight.

I had a hard time figuring it out myself - I initially wanted to make it ahead, hanging the pieces over a bucket on it's side to keep them in place as they dried, but I was afraid that it would end up out of proportion to the helmet. I didn't take the time to sketch it all out, which would've been a good idea.

So I ended up making the individual pieces of the guard, using the cake I had already covered as a guide to the proper size, and trying to support them as I waited for te gumpaste glue to dry and hold them in place. I stuck skewers into the pieces that would protrude out from the helmet...

It took a long time just to figure it all out, so I ran out of time to finish my cake! There are quite a few parts missing icon_redface.gif http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1474563

Hence, my best piece of advice is to plan as much as you can in advance, sketch, use templates, and wait for better answers than I had!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 16

Macsmom, I had the same issue. I just did a Jets helmet this weekend (maybe that's how they won, lol). I made the mask Wednesday w/Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe, it was plenty dry by Saturday BUT.... I wound up not being able to use it b/c it was way too wide once I'd carved my cake. I had let it dry on the side of an 8" bucket figuring that the bit I would carve from the sides of my cake would be made up for with the added thickness icing and fondant. I was WAY off. Too bad b/c the mask dried beautifully.

I wound up wrapping fondant around floral wire (in "u" shape) for the 2 long pieces and then cut lollipop sticks to height and wrapped them w/green fondant and stuck them into the two u haped pieces. I didn't bother using any edible glue because it was staying here, but held up fine, If it had to be delivered I'm sure just a bit of edible glue would be all it needed. No drying time was necessary, the wires and sticks provide all of the support.

I would love to know if anyone has a sure fire way of winding up with an accurate size when shaping it with gumpaste ahead of time. In the meantime, I'll stick with the wire, guess it doesn't matter since no one would be eating the gumpaste mask anyway.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 16

I would also love to know how the face guard is made. I've seen posts where they cover wire with gumpaste. I'm very bad at doing that, i've tried it so many times and the gumpaste does not stick to the wire, plus it comes out lumpy. So if anyone has any good tips on how to achieve a clean look please share.

FullHouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 16

I just rolled out a rope of fondant, pressed the wire into it, then pinched the edges if the fondant back over the wire as I went (I shaped the wire first). Then I just gently smoothed the fondant with my hands. It didn't really stick to the wire but since the wire was completely surrounded, it worked out well.

I haven't posted the pic here, but I did on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=149664&id=247654591625&ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=3926935&id=247654591625

tarheelgirl Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 16

I found this tutorial:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=615967&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I am scared that the scale will be off! I may just do the simple U shapes like you did Fullhouse.

By the way, your helmets look awesome!

FullHouse Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 16

That is the thread I used to figure out how to make mine - SOOOOO helpful, but I wasn't able to get the mask to fit. I did carve mine from standard 8" rounds w/o using a dome shaped pan so that made it difficult to judge the final size ahead of time. If I were to try again, I would not taper the sides so much, I'm sure that would make a big difference.

tarheelgirl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 16

I just made my guard to sit for a couple days. Keeping my fingers crossed it fits. I am going to have a backup plan and do it with the U's if this doesn't work.

tarheelgirl Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 16

Just added a photo of my helmet! Did the face guard like instructed on the tutorial. I am thrilled with the outcome!! Thanks for all those who help and give suggestions.

cookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefool Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 16

Tarheelgirl - your helmet and mask turned out great! Congrats! I have a facemask drying now, since yesterday. (seems to be a theme this week). I mixed fondant and gumpaste, and initially tried wrapping it around wire but just had a heck of a time. So then, I just rolled out a bunch of ropes and then put them over a small canister to dry (followed the tutorial). I glued them at the connecting points, and stuck pins in to just keep them in place while they dried. I measured the curve around the helmet where the face mask should fit and then found a cannister with a similar curve and measurement. I am so nervous though. Nervous that it won't dry hard enough and will just fall apart, nervous that it will be too hard and break when I remove it from the cannister and nervous that it won't fit the helmet when I go to put it together. LOL! I have to assemble it later tonight so I'll keep you posted and I'll take a pic when I'm done.

tarheelgirl Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 16

Hate to say it but the 1st one broke!! It was my fault though.. icon_redface.gif I was nervous getting this one off to paint it but it turned out great. I used fondant and tylose powder which was hard as a rock within a couple hours. It really was fun to make! Be sure to post pictures of your finished helmet. icon_biggrin.gif

cookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefool Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:15am
post #13 of 16

You know, I was just looking at the mask and thinking that maybe I should paint mine too. It is black and it looks a little flat. What did you use to paint yours? Did you do anything else to give it that nice shiny finish? I am considering making a back up just because I'm kind of freaked out. I really don't want to end up without a face mask on this cake. I would have thought that my mask would be hard as a rock by now but it's not. It is setting up for sure, but not quite like I'd prefer. thumbsdown.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #14 of 16

I used black gel color mixed with a touch of vodka. Gives it a shiny finish too.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #15 of 16

It looks fantastic!

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #16 of 16

Thanks MacsMom! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%