Mmf- Need Help

Decorating By iris219 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 12:02pm by iris219

iris219 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone:

Over the weekend I made MMF for the first time. I took it out last night to try to make a 3-D Piglet for my niece's birthday in two weeks. I thought I was doing fine but this morning when I went to go and check on the Piglet the body of the Piglet sunk as well as the head sinking into the body. (hope I'm making sense)

The body was shaped like an egg almost as well as for the head. I did find the MMF to be a lot softer than the regular fondant. So I decided to add some gumpaste to the MMF to help make it stiffer. I thought it did the trick but what a disappointment when I saw the Piglet this morning.

Can any one tell me what I did wrong? Is MMF not good for 3-D figures? Any help, suggestions advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

11 replies
HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 12

Fondant can be really soft for heavy figures. Can you do the whole figure out of gumpaste or modeling chocolate?

iris219 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

Fondant can be really soft for heavy figures. Can you do the whole figure out of gumpaste or modeling chocolate?

I will give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Thanks

anamado Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 12

I don't understand it either... I make all my figures with MMF, and I never had such a problem...
Do you think it was short of sugar?
Maybe if you leave it on the fridge, it will get hard (because of the cold) and stiffer (as it will get drier) as time goes by...

HarleyDee Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 12

I just know that I did a really quick monkey out of fondant for a customer, just to show her I knew how to make figurines. Fondant was all I had on hand (she wasn't paying for it, and it was some scraps that was going to get thrown away anyway). It was a little monkey sitting down. I made it in the morning, took a pic of it and sent it to her. By that afternoon he was all squashed down icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 12

have you tried adding tylose to your fondant? Helps it dry harder, and quicker. May eliminate the sagging problem....

anamado Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

(...)I made it in the morning, took a pic of it and sent it to her. By that afternoon he was all squashed down icon_smile.gif

Really??? I tell you, I make ALL my figures in mmf! And I have done several of them! I have some in my photos uploaded... They are not too little either...

iris219 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:27am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

I don't understand it either... I make all my figures with MMF, and I never had such a problem...
Do you think it was short of sugar?
Maybe if you leave it on the fridge, it will get hard (because of the cold) and stiffer (as it will get drier) as time goes by...

I thought I had plenty of sugar because it no longer stuck to my fingers when I rolled it up in plastic wrap to put in the frig.

iris219 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

have you tried adding tylose to your fondant? Helps it dry harder, and quicker. May eliminate the sagging problem....

never heard of "tylose" Where can I get it?

Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #10 of 12

Gumtex is wilton's brand for tylose. You can pick it up at Hobby Lobby or where-ever. My MMF is always really soft the day after I make it. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

anamado Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:38am
post #11 of 12

My recipe is just marshmallows, sugar and water. The original one. And with that I make all my figures. They dry quite well...
This is the recipe I use:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15170/marshmallow-fondant-3
Is yours like this one?

iris219 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:02pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

My recipe is just marshmallows, sugar and water. The original one. And with that I make all my figures. They dry quite well...
This is the recipe I use:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15170/marshmallow-fondant-3
Is yours like this one?

yes, the only difference is that I did not use a Kitchenaid mixer. Since the marshmallows melted quite well in the microwave, I didn't think I need to use the mixer. I left them in the Frig for 24 hrs before I took out to use. So, will have to try this again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%