Help! Spade Cake

Decorating By TinkinpinkSteph Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm by Darthburn

TinkinpinkSteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkinpinkSteph Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 13

Ok so I've never posted on here so bare with me icon_confused.gif This is one of my favorite site and I usually just look up pictures of cakes and get my ideas from there my only problem is THERE ARE NO PICTURES OF A SPADE CAKE!!! So, my mom boyfriend has a poker club and his emblem is a spade with flames coming from the top...he wants me to make a cake shaped like a spade big enough to feed 30 people and I have no idea where to start...please help icon_sad.gif

12 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 13

Get some sheet cakes and cut it out. Cover in black fondant with some flames coming out the top to match his emblem.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 13

To me a spade is an upside down heart apple with a stem. Maybe use a heart pan and make a small cake for the stem. Or make a half sheet and trim it to a spade shape. Half sheet serves 40 I believe. Do two layers and you should have plenty of cake.

TinkinpinkSteph Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 13

Sounds good...thank you!!! I have another question though lol....I have tried sooo hard to make black fondant for some reason or another it comes out purple i have tried dying it brown first then black andit still doesnt work....does anyone have any tips to help me with this. I would normally use wiltons black fondant for decorations but since this is for the whole cake I would rather make my own mm fondant so that it tastes good you know....well thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 13

buy pre-made black from Satin Ice. Tastes great, and much less work for you!

Darthburn Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 13

Add some cocoa powder to your MMF to make it chocolately and brown. If you have it or can get it, Americolor black to color it. If not Wilton black is fine. Mix it in the choco MMF when the marshmellows are melted and before adding your PS. It'll still look dark grey, but if you put it in the fridge overnight (or longer) it'll set and darken up.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 13

Yup. Make chocolate fondant and then color it black. It comes out a very nice black. You can color white fondant black, but it takes a lot of black.

TinkinpinkSteph Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 13

Alright i'll give it another try...couple more questions sorry icon_redface.gif as far as pricing i plan on making a bunch of fondant poker chips and getting a cake board so i could put the flames in fondant as the background....I feel its a lot of work he told me he would like to keep it under 100 which I think is fair but how much such I charge? Also I know you guys told me to do sheet cakes should I put both layers together then carve the design? Can you tell this is my first carve out cake?! lol....again thank you soooo much!!!! icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 13

You gotta figure out your own pricing. Don't knwo what ingredients, utilties, gas, you time is worth to you, all that good stuff. But I will say this. He would never get that cake from me for less then a $100 for 30 people. The cheapest he could get it would be a $120 and thats me not charging him an actual carved cake price, cause carve cakes start at $200.

Darthburn Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 13

I agree, figure your own pricing. And I totally agree with you LaBella, about how your cakes are worth what you charge... they are professional and gorgeous. I imagine you have had schooling and / or years of experience and that alone enables you to charge your worth. Now me, as a hobby caker, I've carved and caked... well, for free. My Jack cake was free... it was a church family at my church that was recently unemployed and had a son turning 18. So I helped them out. So situations differ, but I'm not telling you anything new. I think what I'm saying is, yes, Labella is correct... charge what you feel it requires. icon_smile.gif

And yes, freeze your cakes (or leave them in the fridge overnight at least to get them harder for carving) then buttercream your first layer top, and then stack another layer on that. If you want, draw and cut a large spade template on a piece of paper, pin it down with toothpicks and carve the cake to that shape. Crumb coat the rest, and cover with fondant. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 13

Uh, just for the record Darthburn, your Jack cake is one of my favorites, along with your screen name, and that cake would have been a easy $700. Your in California. You could have a got an easy 1K for that cake. And school is great, but not necessary.

TinkinpinkSteph Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 13

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!! icon_biggrin.gif I LOVE THIS SITE!

Darthburn Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 13

You think so? Really? Wow, thank you... and Hmmm, that gets me thinking!! icon_biggrin.gif

(Btw... yes California.. but Bakersfield. We're just a bunch of Okie's, and most don't pay $50 for cake haha!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%