Carving A Spiral / Roller Coaster Cake Help.

Decorating By Relznik Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 12:39am by Relznik

Relznik Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 8

Hi

I have looked - I promise! But I can't find what I'm looking for.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for how to carve a spiral into a cake, please?

I *think* that's what I need?????

I've been asked to do a roller coaster cake and whilst I won't be copying these cakes exactly, they're my inspiration... I think they're brilliant and they're just the sort of look I'm going for.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1312817

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1159428

Any other help / tips / pointers would be VERY gratefully received.

Thanks.

Suzanne x

7 replies
tatorchip Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 8
Relznik Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you.

icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 8

your welcome, here is another one that is great, I had to find it and didn't have time yesterday

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-662894.html

Relznik Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you, tatorchip! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I wonder if I could adapt this so that the spiral doesn't just go down the cake... so that it can go up and down, if that makes sense????

Oh my goodness... I wish I hadn't said yes now! icon_cry.gif I'm starting to panic. LOL!!

tatorchip Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 8

oh please don't panic, relax and just draw out your design and use the designs in those sites as a partial guide and your drawing as the rest, you can do it. Just relax, your photos tell me that you can do it in your sleep.

kjt Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Thank you, tatorchip! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I wonder if I could adapt this so that the spiral doesn't just go down the cake... so that it can go up and down, if that makes sense????

Oh my goodness... I wish I hadn't said yes now! icon_cry.gif I'm starting to panic. LOL!!

Love the idea of it going up and down and around!
And are you kidding, me - you can do purse, cigar box and the FEATHERS cakes...you'll pull this off, I'm sure. thumbs_up.gif

Okay, I must confess I have a personal interest in the success of your roller coaster cake. I have promised to do a 65th anniversary cake this summer. The daughter wants a roller coaster cake. The couple had their first date on the "Zippin Pippin" at the Fairgrounds in Memphis, TN. (I rode that roller coaster as a kid.)

Here's a useless bit of trivia: the Pippin was Elvis' favorite ride, and he sometimes rented out the whole park after hours, and rode the roller coaster over and over...now back to your regularly scheduled programs icon_rolleyes.gif !

Relznik Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:39am
post #8 of 8

Thank you.

But I have a real mental block when it comes to carving.

I'm too icon_redface.gif to tell you how many times I've miraculously been fully booked, when someone's phoned and asked for a 3D car cake.

I just can't do one! (will maybe attempt one, just for home, to see if I can).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%