3 Tier Wedding Cake Serving Sizes

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 7:50am by Renaejrk

wildwolves Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #1 of 5

Hi all, making a wedding cake in march... ( my first one icon_smile.gif ) and was just wondering what size cakes i should make. The cake will be round.
The bride has 100 guests coming to the wedding and is using the cake for dessert.. I have looked at the wiltons guide but i think that the sizes might be to small for a dessert slice.. Any ideas???
thanks in advance Rach

4 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:02am
post #2 of 5

Here is a photo of the wilton 1x2x4: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Most people hear "one inch" and think "paper thin" .... it's not. It's about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich.

A 6/8/10 serves 12/24/38 = 74
A 6/8/12 serves 12/24/56 = 92
A 6/10/12 serves 12/38/56 = 106
A 6/10/14 serves 12/38/78 = 128

Ask her if she wants a little more or a little less.

catlharper Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:11am
post #3 of 5

indydebi is right...that one inch is as wide as the tip of your thumb to the joint...now think of that being 4 inches tall..that's a big slice of cake.

wildwolves Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:22am
post #4 of 5

Thanks indydebi. That photo really does make the peices look big! i think the wilton sizes will be fine! thanks so much guys for helping me out. I'm a little nervous about making my first wedding cake.. i don't want anything to go wrong and spoil their special day!

Renaejrk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:50am
post #5 of 5

Good luck! There is a lot of wonderful information here to help you - and a lot of wonderful people too! Just do your research so you know what to do, and I suggest a practice run! (maybe with the basics, cake filled, iced, stacked - so you can practice stacking and such)

I remember my first one - I was nervous, but I was doing it for free except for ingredients, it was a 2nd marriage and the church choir was putting on a tiny reception as they were members - so I didn't have to worry about them not liking it or it not being perfect! It was a great first wedding to do! lol

Have fun with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%