Keeping Cakes Moist In The Fridge

Decorating By tsal Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 12:35am by KoryAK

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I hear people talking about some cakes taking them 40 hours of work, etc and I can't help but wonder how they keep the cake moist for that long?

I am planning a cake for my nephew for Saturday night but I won't be able to work on it at all on Saturday so I'm planning to finish it on Friday night and then keep in the fridge until Saturday evening when I have to bring it to the party.

it will be a fondant covered cake (not sure if it will be vanilla or chocolate yet - he has to get back to me on that), and I have an edible image to put on top of the fondant. Don't edible images melt in the fridge?

Any advice would be most welcome!

6 replies
ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 7

I would NEVER put it in the fridge. It will not hurt it one bit to sit out for one day. Especially something with an edible image on it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramacake

I would NEVER put it in the fridge. It will not hurt it one bit to sit out for one day. Especially something with an edible image on it.

agree, do not refrigerate it. It will dry out the cake and wreak havoc on the edible image and fondant

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 7

I put mine in the fridge if it takes days to do, and it does not hurt it at all. I am puzzled.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #5 of 7

you will not need to put your cake in the frig.. it will be fine sitting out .. until you takie it to the event....

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 7

even with a whipped cream filling?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 7

Yes it's ok to fridge your cake. All of mine are. The potential damage done has a lot to do with humidity and heat... I'm in AK so I have neither icon_smile.gif

Yes, refrigerating does contribute to the staling of cakes. Just keep it well wrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%