Help With Diamante Trim On Wedding Cake

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 2:37am by juliefleming

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #1 of 25

Hey everyone,
i have a client that would like diamante trim around the bottom of her tiers. She wants ribbon on first and then the diamantes ontop of the ribbon.. Any ideas.. I have attached the picture that she gave me..
Thanks Rach
LL

24 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 25

Hi Rach

I did a wedding cake similar (see my photos) - square tiers with silver ribbon and rectangular diamantes on a black thinner ribbon which was provided by the bride.

She actually wanted the beading sitting UNDER the ribbon, so it was a bit harder to apply it all nice and straight.

You can buy the diamante stuff by the meter/yard. Use it like a ribbon.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 25

Evoir, where so you buy the diamantes? I can't find an Australian supplier...

Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 25

The bride or that particular cake I mentioned got the rectangular/round diamante thread at Spotlight, which I think are everywhere (?? not sure now!). I know also that Cupids (Cake Dec Supplies) in Newcastle sell stuff by the meter but it is heinously expensive...like $35 a metre! But it looks more like the OP's pictured cake's diamantes...very sparkly.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #5 of 25

Thanks, I'll check those out. I have found somewhere in the US that sells them but the prices are insane!

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #6 of 25

You might try a website called rhinestonesunlimited.com

They have rhinestone banding in several sizes and widths, and they are all gorgeous. I use the three row bands all the time. But they are also pretty pricey. Although, not as high as retail.

Good luck!!!

wildwolves Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:20am
post #7 of 25

Thanks for the help everyone, I have been looking online for places to buy them.. They are a little tricky to find because they are called several things.. Ill post up as soon as i get some at a good price icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 25

Buy the best.... charge the bride icon_biggrin.gif

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 25

tried rheinstonesunlimited.com but no site pops up....any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

wildwolves Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 25

i just bought mine from ebay for $12.50 Australian a meter. Ill let you know when they arrive what the quality is like. icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 25

I don't really know... but can't you buy these from fabric stores; by the yard???

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 25

No fabric store carries rhinestone banding in my area. I have to have it shipped in. I'm getting beautiful 3 row banding for $18/yard.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 25

Hmmmm icon_confused.gif I've never used it, but it seems like I've seen it in stores. Well, it's really pretty. Happy caking icon_biggrin.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 25

For those of you in the US and |Canada, if your Walmart has a fabirc department, check there. They sell it by the package and by the yard/metre. Fabricland in Canada sells it also.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 25

I thought I saw it somewhere! ^^^

Evoir Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:36am
post #16 of 25

In Oz, Spotlight is a fabric/haberdashery type of place. The have all sorts of stuff there!

wildwolves Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #17 of 25

Evoir how did you get the diamantes to stay on the cake? Did you use royal icing or a bit of confectioners glue to hold them in place?

Evoir Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:55am
post #18 of 25

The ones I used were little alternating rectangular and round diamantes that were one a thread essentially - each joined to the next with a small black thread link. I pressed the line of diamantes slightly into the fondant, and then used RI to secure the ends to the back of the cakes.

HTH icon_smile.gif

wildwolves Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:06am
post #19 of 25

Thanks so much Evoir.. that is a big help! icon_smile.gif

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bride2Be2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bride2Be2010 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:35am
post #21 of 25

If you are looking for quality banding that your customers (brides) will be happy with then I highly recommend Diamond Party Confetti.

They carry the crystal cake banding in several sizes and sell it wholesale or by the yard.

Here is a link:
http://www.diamondpartyconfetti.com/crystal_cake_banding.html

They also have the edible cake diamonds.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #22 of 25

What about buying the edible diamonds? they are not too expensive if you buy them in bulk

Bride2Be2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bride2Be2010 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #23 of 25

I love the edible diamonds too. I am having a hard time deciding whether use the banding: http://shop.diamondpartyconfetti.com/category.sc?categoryId=18 or the edibles: http://shop.diamondpartyconfetti.com/category.sc?categoryId=12

Has anyone ever used both?
[/img]

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm
post #24 of 25

Here in L.A you can go downtown and purchase it as where (wholesale prices) I will go see how much is a yard. and keep you ladies posted

juliefleming Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliefleming Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #25 of 25

We have diamante trim for sale at our site www.juliefleming.com.au at this link http://www.juliefleming.com.au/shop/86-diamante-trim.html - we have been inundated and are currently out of stock if you are looking for this trim let us know and we will reorder, diamante trim is sold by the mtr. We also have flower making vintage looking stamens here on our site at this link http://www.juliefleming.com.au/shop/31-silk-flower-making-supplies.
julieflemingonline

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%