2 Questions... 1 About Ribbons On The Cake 1 About Buttercre

Decorating By mcmurray20 Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm by mcmurray20

mcmurray20 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 5

ok.. sooo how do i get the ribbon to stick together ive nver actually SEEN in real life a cake with ribbon on it, but is there a way to get it to stay with out overlapping or do they always over lap but they just dont take the pic from that angle? lol..

buttcream- how do yall do that.. do yall buy it or just make it? is it rly much cheaper to just make it? does it save enough money that its worth ur while taking the time to make it?

...if u buy it- what brand is good for a crustin buttercream thati can just use all around my whole cake then do a diamond impresion on?

any good tricks/tips on gettn the buttercream really smooth and even??

4 replies
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 5

Yes, you overlap the ribbon. You overlap it in the back. You can either "glue" it together with icing, or stick a couple straight pins through it (disinfect the straight pins in boiling water before using and remove them and the ribbon before slicing the cake).

You cannot purchase buttercream at the grocery store. The icing in the cans on the baking aisle at the grocery store is not the same as buttercream (and is nasty, to boot). You can purchase Wilton's icing at craft stores and online, but it is very expensive (and nasty tasting, too, IMHO). You can also purchase icing from some warehouse stores, such as SAM'S club, but again, expensive (and nasty tasting IMHO).

Just so you know, it is ALWAYS cheaper to make/bake/cook from scratch/"your self" than to purchase pre-made prodcut.

So, how we do it, is we make it. It's not difficult to do. There are many differrent kinds and recipes. I, personally, make IMBC (Italian Meringue Buttercream), which does NOT crust. If you want a crusting buttercream, try sugarshack's or Indydebi's recipes (both available on the recipe section on here). They are very popular and developed by 2 of the best in the biz.

As for getting buttercream very smooth and even, practice, practice, practice. Sugarshack's DVD is also full of lots of helpful info for those having trouble mastering the art of icing the cake.

Not sure about using a diamond impression mat on the BC as I do not use a crusting BC and have only ever heard of using impression mats on fondant. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

No offense, but it sounds like you don't have much, if any experience. You aren't trying to make a wedding cake, are you? I hope you have a couple of years to practice before making THE cake. Wedding cakes are not something someone with little or no experience should attempt.

Donnabugg Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #3 of 5

Welcome to CC. I on the other hand purchase my Buttercream icing from Sam's. I've tried different ones including homemade and this is one I've found that I really like. I have 4 kids and work full time so it's definately a timesaver. HTH

poohsmomma Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 5

I make Indydebi's buttercream. It crusts well, and I have used a diamond impression mat on it. Here is an example:

Hope this helps; good luck

mcmurray20 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

what brand is it from sams? lol im glad i posted this or i would have just went out and bought the betty crocker or duncan hines buttercream LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%