Baking And Frosting Questions

Baking By cbaummer Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 12:32am by prterrell

cbaummer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbaummer Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:24am
post #1 of 2

I am making 2 dozen or more cupcakes and a cake for my daughter's birthday. The cake is for Saturday and the cupcakes are for Sunday. I am planning on baking both on Friday and then decorating the cake on Saturday morning and cupcakes on Sunday morning. Is this right? Should I frost the cake on Friday and just decorate the cake on Saturday? Can I store the cupcakes and cakes out in the open or in a Tupperware container.
Are fondant accents stored in a container to dry or out in the open?

I am making Swiss Meringue Buttercream for the cupcakes and the cake. When should I make that? I guess this is stored in the fridge?

Thanks

1 reply
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 2

To prevent the cupcakes and cake from drying out, I would frost them both Friday, unless you are baking them late Friday, then store in an airtight container at room temp and frost both on Saturday.

Once frosted, you can decorate whenever you like.

Once frosted they do not have to be in an airtight container, although they should be in some sort of container, just to keep dust, etc off of them.

If you want the fondant to remain soft, then store in an airtight container.

If you want the fondant to dry and harden, then do not store in an airtight container, although in a loosely covered container to keep dust off is not a bad idea (on a sheet pan with a paper towel laid over would work).

I like to make my icing while the cake is in the oven, but that is what works best for me (I make IMBC, which, like SMBC, involves cooking).

Do NOT store the icing in the fridge! In an airtight container at room temp. You will need to rewhip before using to frost or decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%