Potential Disaster With Buttercream....

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 2:42am by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 8

Not sure if this question has been done or not, I did a search and didn't come up with it....

I have a friend who is getting married and wants a simple cake with buttercream only, not fondant...

The wedding will be in May, but we live in the South, and usually its pretty warm here then. What do most decorators use when its a warm spring day for a wedding cake frosting?? Fondant?? How do people keep their buttercream from melting.....

Thanks for the replies....

7 replies
prterrell Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 8

As long as the reception is indoors (which in the south means in AC), buttercream only is fine.

AngelaM Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 8

I'm in Florida so at times I've used a high-humidity buttercream. You can find several recipes for them online.

Renaejrk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 8

check with her to make sure it is indoors

G_Cakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #5 of 8

Indydebi has a excellent recipe that holds up very well to heat her recipe is online here

Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #6 of 8

In Australia (also hot in summer) we can get a "tropical" strength shortening which helps with the melt factor. I am sure the USA will have something similar icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #7 of 8

I used Indydebi's buttercream on a cake for my friend. On a hot Sunday afternoon (temperatures in the high 80s) she left the cake in the trunk of the car while she and her family had dinner in a restaurant. She brought it in for the dessert at the end of the meal, and the cake was perfect.

I say try Indydebi's Buttercream.

Rhonda19 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone.... I'll give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%