Anyone That Has Taken Course 3 Wilton....

Decorating By cshelz Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm by cshelz

cshelz Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 9

I wanted to take this course, but it is never available. Every cake I have seen that is course 3, the flowers look amazing. I wanted to know what they use to make the flowers. Everyone that has done it makes it look easy. Is it easy to make them? I am going to try to do them, but wanted any advice. Thanks

8 replies
kakedreamer1212 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 9

I took the course but it was about 5 yrs ago and I actually dont make those flowers to much now. Mostly because I decorate with fondant more now but they were made with royal icing and some of the course involved making roses with fondant. I dont think they were very difficult to make in class though. I recently told someone, its been so long since I made a buttercream rose that I'm not sure I still could but ask me to make fondant roses and I could whip them up, no problem. Thats just the way things have gone for me, the only royal icing flowers I've made since class are the apple blossoms and once did the lilly.

alene Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 9

They are made of royal icing. You can always buy the book at one of the craft stores or even order it on-line.

metria Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 9

you also learn how to make fondant roses.

cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 9

The flowers are easy to make once you know the technique and practice. We had a ball when we took the course (both my husband and myself).

Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #6 of 9

Here is a youtube on how to make fondant roses. This is the same method taught in course 3. Hope this helps. Myself, I am a course 3 drop-out icon_lol.gif

taygetta Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 9

Have you exhausted all the stores that teach Course 3? Being in CA you might have more options. Try a local cake supply store. I am a Wilton Instructor in Ohio and I know if I have a student who would like to take the class but can't seem to make the schedule work I offer that if they can find 3 other friends to meet my minimum students that I can teach the class at any time and date that the classroom is available. Meaning ask around. Just because the instructor doesn't have a certain day/time on there doesn't mean they won't do it. The flowers aren't very hard. But again like the others said once you see how it's done it's easier. If you are very good visual/read and do it type learner I think you'd be fine! Good Luck!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #8 of 9

Duh.... I forgot to paste the link icon_confused.gif

cshelz Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%