Wedding Cake Question..

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 1:57am by Writecakes

Writecakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 17

Can someone please tell me what size(s) you think these cakes are? Sorry I cannot credit the cake designer as someone emailed this to me and could not recall the source.

Thanks so much for your input icon_smile.gif
LL

16 replies
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 17

6-9-12, most likely.

Writecakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 17

Really? I was thinking bigger, but I hope you are right, since this is the size they say they want (it's for family) It's hard for me to tell, since there's nothing sitting next to it for me to compare.

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 17

Well it could be bigger. But I doubt it. It very well could be a 6-8-10 too. But I think the ledges are too big for only a 2" diff.

janeoxo Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 17

I'm with Jamie, I defo think that's a 6" on the top and would have gone for 9 and 12

artscallion Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writecakes

Really? I was thinking bigger, but I hope you are right, since this is the size they say they want (it's for family) It's hard for me to tell, since there's nothing sitting next to it for me to compare.

If they say this is the size they want, they must have an idea of what they think the size is, which is really more important than what we think the size is, no? I mean, for all we know, the whole thing is only 7" high...or maybe they think it's that small. How many people are they trying to serve?

I would ask them how big they think it is and how many people they want to serve.

prterrell Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 17

Doesn't really matter what size the inspiration cake is. What matters is how much cake do they need for their event?

Writecakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #8 of 17

Thanks so much for all the replies icon_smile.gif

Writecakes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 17

So guess what? I made this cake. It was a big cake, and on the way out the door, the plate holding the middle tier fractured near the center and cracked and split! My husband quickly carried it back upstairs and it looked like something had clawed through the thing. I had six hours before the wedding, so I re-baked, re-iced and re-piped the middle tier and did my best to repair the top and bottom tier. I made it there an hour before the reception.

It was a challenging experience, and I really don't think I'd ever do a wedding cake again. To much pressure! (This was done as a gift for a very good friend) I don't know how those of you who do this every weekend handle the stress. After experiencing it for myself, I admire you MUCH more than ever before!

The second photo is the cake that fell apart.
The first photo is the one we delivered to the reception.
LL
LL

denetteb Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 17

Wow!! Good save!

Writecakes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks. Since the piping was Royal icing, I was able to pipe an additional layer on top of the previous piping that was smashed, so it was barely noticable! All day I thanked God for those type of blessings so I didn't lose my mind! LOL

Mensch Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 17

Did they like the cake?

Writecakes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 17

They loved it, and it tasted wonderful, so it all worked out. Thank God!

Lcubed82 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 17

Sorry about the troubles, but wow, what a pretty cake!

Writecakes Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you so much, under the circumstances, I'm proud of how it turned out icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 17

I'd have said 14", 12", and 8"... but that's just me. I work at a refinery and all day long look at pipes. After years of looking at them you can just tell what size they are. But cake is kinda different... sizing can be misleading. But that was my choice.

The cake turned out great, but you never said what sizes you used icon_smile.gif

Writecakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #17 of 17

The cake ended up being 20, 16 and 12 + six sheet cakes. It was a big wedding icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%