Some Specific Cricut Expression Questions

Decorating By kevinmcc Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 3:27am by tiggy2

kevinmcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kevinmcc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi:

As some of you've read, I'm new to this forum (as well as decorating and the Cricut Expression). I've tried searching the forum for answers to my questions, but the task became a bit gargantuan, so I thought I'd ask the specifics here:

1) Are there any edible inks out there that are made to fit into a Cricut Expression? (if so, who makes them, the name, etc)

2) Is there any kind of board out there (make/model if you know) that would be a good substitute for the Cricut 12x12 cutting mat? I'm hoping to eventually cut fondant, but hoping not to deal with all the "remove the sticky stuff from the Cricut mat issue"

3) Is there a process for cutting guide templates for to put on the top of a cake to use as a guide for traditional piping methods.

I just ordered Linda McClure's DVD, so perhaps my questions will be answered there.

Thanks!

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 8

Linda's DVD will show you how to re-purpose the cricut markers with edible ink. I don't know of any other mats but removing the sticky isn't very hard.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 8

Yep, removing the sticky only takes 5 or maybe 10 minutes. You just use airbrush colors in the cricut markers, but you have to empty them out & clean them really, REALLY well first, because the ink that comes in them is not food safe. She shows you how to do this in the video. Good luck!

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 8

In his class, Norm Davis said the way to remove the sticky from the mat is to first remove the top film and then clean off the sticky with Goo Gone. Said it works fast and is really easy.

kevinmcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kevinmcc Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the responses - Love the Goo Gone idea; I have some here at home. I just received the DVD today and I'm watching it now. The results from simple circles of different sizes is amazing.

Rather than using markers, could I just paint on the outlines with the food safe colors after cutting and peeling off the gumpaste?

Anyone have experience with a Cricut after removing the rubber rollers? It makes me a might nervous to permanently remove pieces from a pice of electronic equipment like that.

Thanks heavens for SCAL and Inkscape (on Macintosh). There's no way I'd be able cut stuff on the Cricut without seeing them on the computer first!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #6 of 8

You don't have to cut off the rubber rollers. You can just push them to the sides...works fine. icon_wink.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 8

I did cut off my rubber rollers because I was cutting a design that was 11" x 11" and needed every inch I could get. I've had no problems at all.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:27am
post #8 of 8

I didn't cut mine off, I just moved them to the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%