What Is Your Policy Re "outside" Sheetcakes?

Business By llbesq Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm by leah_s

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I had a 'no other cakes' clause but would frequently altar contracts to permit a groom's cake ... especially if it was a style of cake that I had no experience in making.

Mine specified no other desserts, except by prior agreement. I don't want them getting a smaller cake so they can get a Mall store Cookie Cake for the grooms cake, either.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #32 of 45

A bride recently asked her baker to make an exception to her 'no outside cakes' rule so that I could make a small gluten free cake for the MoB, who has celiacs disease. The primary baker had no gluten free options. She even convinced the baker to work with me so that I could do something that would compliment the main cake design.

Everyone was very pleasant about it. But it still had to be outlined in the contract as a specific exception.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #33 of 45

11.  SOLE PROVIDER: All cakes, edible or display, for this event must be supplied by SPD. If any cake is provided by anyone other than SPD (including grooms and sheet cakes), we will not deliver our cakes and all payments will be forfeited. The undelivered cake must be picked up the day after the event or we will dispose of it at our discretion.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Quote:

There's also something called the "24 hour virus"....

That's actually a mis-nomer. The 24 hour (and 48 hour and 72 hour) stomach viruses are actually all cases of mild food poinsoning.

You are kidding right? haha.

Nope. Sorry. Not a joke.

No you don't get it... she put it in quotes because she was pretty much saying the same thing you did. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #35 of 45
Quote:

I realize there's the thing about "taste" and "reputation" but really if there are 300 people at a wedding...how many of those people are really gonna ask "who made the cake"?

icon_cool.gif I'm on cloud nine from the exposure I got this weekend and the comments from people I don't know, after the cake I did for 300 (actually 30icon_cool.gif this past Saturday. Priceless exposure. And no guesses about who made which cake, cuz uh....there wasn't anything else. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #36 of 45
Quote:

I realize there's the thing about "taste" and "reputation" but really if there are 300 people at a wedding...how many of those people are really gonna ask "who made the cake"?

For the same reason that we have car insurance. All it takes is one little accident and you are financially scarred for life.

All it takes is one or two people from that wedding bad mouthing your cakes to 10 people, who tell 10 people, who tell 10 people, and you can never turn that around.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There's also something called the "24 hour virus"....

That's actually a mis-nomer. The 24 hour (and 48 hour and 72 hour) stomach viruses are actually all cases of mild food poinsoning.

You are kidding right? haha.

Nope. Sorry. Not a joke.

No you don't get it... she put it in quotes because she was pretty much saying the same thing you did. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Oh. icon_redface.gif

I'm going to blame my not catching that on the fact that I've been very sick in hospital and haven't eaten solid food since Thursday.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #38 of 45

Oh no.. it's okay... even if you weren't sick, but especially since you are. I hope you are 100% soon. It's never fun to be in the hospital. ((hugs)) and get better vibes for you! icon_biggrin.gif

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:07pm
post #39 of 45

Hi all!

Can I bring this topic up again & add a twist to it? If you have the sole vendor clause (which is what I want to do) what do you say on email or phone if the Bride starts out with "I only need a small one layer wedding cake becuase I am having cupcakes"

The cupcakes are not being ordered through me and I dont want the cake order because I am pretty sure they are coming from Sam's.

Everyone will think I put out bad product. Word of mouth is everything to us.

I want to politely refuse the consultation request & be really nice about it so she is not insulted.

How do you word it so people understand the policy & are not put out?

Help? icon_surprised.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #40 of 45

I have it written in my contract, and I go over that verbally so there is no misunderstanding. I am the ONLY cake there, period.

If the conversation starts like you posted, I just would apologize and suggest she get her cake the same place she gets the cupcakes....and just politely explain the reason for NOT doing it. (and you could even throw in there that you're sure where the cupcakes come from would feel the same way)

Thank you for your inquiry, have a nice day!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #41 of 45

Absolutely not! Your reputation is on the line. I had a wedding very early in my business (when I didn't know any better) and I made the display and they bought the sheet cakes from someone else. SEveral people who were at the wedding told me later that the sheet cakes were dry and they were politely trying to tell me this so I could fix the problem before my next event. My reputation was burned in front of over 300 people and I did literally nothing to deserve it. I know of several other decorators in my area and we all have the same "all or nothing" policy. I state it in my contract and point it out at every consultation so there is no room for misunderstanding later. Here is the exact wording (I borrowed the wording from a fellow cc'er, although I can't remember who to give them credit):

Bride or representative is aware of an all or nothing policy. No additional cakes from another business, friend, or family member may be at your event. This is to protect the quality and reputation of my cakes and business. If a cake from another source is present at your event, all monies exchanged and the cake provided by Piece of Cake will be forfeitedmeaning no cake for your event and no refunds. No exceptions.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #42 of 45

I've had several concerns from brides over this issue. I have in my contract a similar clause, and I get asked about it all the time when they are signing. However, I actually had a very "sweet" mom tell me straight up at a consult once that that was their business what they served and that how could I even know if they served additional cakes if they brought them in after I had delivered the cake. I mean how do you enforce this? I deliver a cake to a venue, set it up, leave, and then 10 minutes later Aunt Mary brings in the Costco sheet cakes into the back kitchen....I'm long gone. Even if I hear about it after the fact, what do I do? This topic has always been a very gray area for me, and it's one that irks a lot of my customers, athough several are very understanding of it when I explain it from my reputation point of view.

carrywilsonhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrywilsonhome Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #43 of 45

Tootie, I'm sure it happens. And what can you do? Not much. I ask my questions very carefully to hopefully avoid it at all. I don't ask how many servings they need. I ask how many people are you inviting to the wedding? Usually, this works. That way, you aren't working from the "servings needed" answer. Then if they say "200 but we're getting sheetcake from xxxx", that's when you can spring the "sole provider clause" on them.

If you ask how many servings do you need, you might never get to that point. They may say "50", sign your clause and you'll never know because you never really discussed it. I know it isn't foolproof, but it gets the discussion in the open right off the bat.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:32pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywilsonhome

Tootie, I'm sure it happens. And what can you do? Not much. I ask my questions very carefully to hopefully avoid it at all. I don't ask how many servings they need. I ask how many people are you inviting to the wedding? Usually, this works. That way, you aren't working from the "servings needed" answer. Then if they say "200 but we're getting sheetcake from xxxx", that's when you can spring the "sole provider clause" on them.

If you ask how many servings do you need, you might never get to that point. They may say "50", sign your clause and you'll never know because you never really discussed it. I know it isn't foolproof, but it gets the discussion in the open right off the bat.

Very good tip on the wording. I never thought of it that way and I do ask how many servings do you need, so I love the idea of just putting it out there as how many are invited and going off of that.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #45 of 45

I have the sole provider info on my website. I have a clause in my contract which requires a separate signature line. And I explain it. Frankly, in 11 years of wedding cakes, I've only had three objections. One was for a 3D cake I didn't want to do, knew the proposed caker who is fully licensed and I gave them an exemption. Second was for a gluten free cake , I gave them the exemption and recommended someone to them. The last one was for a custom flavor not on my standard list of 31 flavors, and when they asked for it I did it for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%