Cake Boards

Decorating By kmueller81 Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm by nanascakes

kmueller81 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 7

Where do you get cake boards? Do you make them yourself? What do you use to decorate them?

6 replies
jammjenks Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 7

It depends on the size of the cake.

wedding cakes with square bottom tier - 1/2 inch plywood covered in freezer paper

sheet-style cakes - multiple 19X14 cardboards covered in freezer paper

all others - usually on pre-covered foil 12X12 cardboards.

Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

There are 2 bakery supply shops around here, so I buy them there. If I did more cake I'd probably buy them in bulk online. I either buy the precovered boards for the base, or put a few together and cover them myself. I did a big one recently and used a thick cardboard and covered it with contact paper.

kmueller81 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the help!

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 7

I use foamcore boards from the craft store. For the bottom board, I usually glue two layers of foamcore together and cover with fondant, then glue a ribbon around the edge. For the boards the cake will actually sit on, I use a single layer and cover it with press and seal wrap.

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 7

I purchase most of my supplies online. I use GSA and CKSA.

nanascakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 7

Texas_Rose do you mean a single layer of foamcore for the individual tiers? Then you cover with the self stick wrap? Do you put a center dowel down through yours? I am wondering if the wrap would pull while trying to hammer the dowel through the layers. I was planning to do something like this and wondered if I should cover the foam core with clear contact paper. I'm thinking that might not be considered food safe even though it is used in kitchen shelves. I hadn't thought about using the self stick wrap. I just watched Sugarshack's stacking DVD and she uses foamcore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%