Princess Crown Topper

Decorating By homebaker12 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 5:04am by sweetcakes

homebaker12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebaker12 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

I have seen some really pretty crown toppers on CC......how do I do that???

5 replies
mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

I tried RI and it shattered into a bunch of pieces. Then I tried a clay extruder and gum paste and it worked beautifully. You can see the one I made in my pics.

It was tedious, but it turned out great. Made it for my daughter for her 3rd b-day in October, and it is still in one piece.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 6

Were they RI or fondant/gumpaste? If you can post a picture or link, someone may be able to help you more specifically.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

I have made several out of gumpaste. I don't like the royal icing ones, they are not as neat, and they are very fragile. I have the directions I used saved, I will copy and paste them here - if you want to use them!

Gumpaste Tiara

1.  I use all gumpaste (not colored) to make them that way I can paint them whatever color I want when I am done. When I do paint them, I use the amiericolor sheen paints, they give a nice sparkle to the finished tiara. Have the gumpaste ready, and make some gumglue (put a small piece of gumpaste in a container and add some water (1/4 t. of gumpaste to about 1 tablespoon of water) that is the gumglue.
2.  I use the Makins green T extruder to make the ropes but you can roll them by hand just use something like a fondant smoother to roll the rope back and forth to get it nice and the same thickness that works. The more pressure you use with the smoother on the rope, the skinnier it makes it.
3.  Get a small oatmeal canister (or a jar/can about that size 12around) Tape the template of the tiara on there, make sure the bottom edge of the pattern is close to the bottom of the canister. (I get the templates from that section of the gallery on CC) then tape a piece of wax paper on top of the template. I then lightly grease the wax paper with shortning that helps the gumpaste stick to the surface some.
4.  Knead your gumpaste till very smooth I knead in some shorting to help it come out of the extruder better. I also lightly grease the inside of the barrel of the extruder. Load the gumpaste and use which ever die you want for the parts of the tiara.
5.  Now, making the ropes, I look at the template, and I make each rope long enough that it can be cut in half so that each side has the exact length of rope that way both sides stay symmetrical. I just work in sections, do one side of the design, then the other. I also lay the oatmeal canister on its side kind of leaning on a folded up towel so that it helps keep the pieces where they are supposed to be.
6.  AT EACH intersection, I use the gumglue just a dot or two of it. It will meld with the gumpaste and help hold it all together when it is dry.
7.  When you have all the pieces made and set on the template, make one more rope only make it a lot thicker than the others. You want it as long as the whole bottom edge of the tiara lay it at the very bottom edge and put gumglue everywhere there is a piece of rope this is the bottom of the tiara. (look at my pics, you can see what I mean) This is why I want the template bottom near the bottom of the oatmeal canister so that bottom edge is at the bottom of the canister when it is setting upright.
8.  Now just let it dry. It will take a day or so. After it seems dry, gently remove the wax paper (with the template on it) from the canister I cut the tape, and lift the oatmeal canister out of the way then gently peel the wax paper off the back of the tiara, and let it dry again just setting there.
9.  Now it is ready to paint! Just paint it whatever color you want and let it dry and you are done.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the how-to! I just got the extruder last week, and want to play. Great idea to do all white, then paint as needed. With a safe location, you could even make a couple ahead!

I used a crown cookie on my princess cake, but now am anxious to try this!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 6

today i picked up a toy tiara $1, i plan on putting the gumpaste over the actual tiara until it is dry, to help hold its shape. i'll let you know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%