Help Getting This Shape, Rounded Cakes... Please..!!!

Decorating By Claudine1976 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 4:18am by mandirombold

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 13

I really need help gettig this shape of cake, can use dummy if I found the place or how to order, this cake is due for valentines day wedding, please help me. here's a picture of a cake taken in ices convention in orlando 2 years ago.
Thanks
my bottom tier would be "rounded" then a 12" regular then a rounded again about 9" and a regular 6" or 7"
Can this be done in actual cake? it is better to use fake? how and where to order? do I still have time? omg!!!! please help me!!!!
LL

12 replies
brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 13

Can't help, but this is a beautiful cake. Good luck, and please post pictures.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 13

I'm not the right person to help but I would guess use dummies for the oval shaped cakes. Google for a place near you selling cake dummies. I'm wondering if you would carve a square into that oblong shape? Whatever you do put a long long dowel down the centre to hold the lot in place. I wish you the best of luck and really hope somebody more knowledgeable will come to your asistance.

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 13

This is beautiful! I have seen Buddy on cake boss do something like this and he is on CC, or he use to be. I would look for him, he is wonderful for asking questions. If not him then maybe tonedna, however I haven't seen her do this one. By the way they use real cake and they flip the stacked cakes to sculpt the round tiers.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 13

WOW, i wouldnt know where to start on this one. Good Luck, and yes post pics,

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 13

That should have been for answering questions. Dah!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 13

beautiful! if you can do it out of cake, i would - I think it's so much more impressive! But if it's just too much, I would do at least parts of it with dummies - like the rounded ones if you don't want to mess with all that!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohthebear

This is beautiful! I have seen Buddy on do something like this and he is on CC, or he use to be. I would look for him, he is wonderful for asking questions. If not him then maybe tonedna, however I haven't seen her do this one. By the way they use real cake and they flip the stacked cakes to sculpt the round tiers.

Cake Boss here on CC is not Buddy from the Cake Boss series. Our Cake Boss, I believe, sells the Cake Boss software that sometimes pops up in the ads.

- Leisel

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 13

I would think a stainless steel bowl like this one....just lop off the what you don't need

http://www.foodutensils.com.au/images/230T07201_Chef_Inox_Stainless_Steel_Mixing_Bowl.jpg

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 13

Buddy's member name on Cake Central is buddyV. It appears he has not posted anything here since April 2009.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=679461

I'm thinking you would not have much luck contacting him.

Hopefully someone else can give you the answer you are looking for.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 13

I'd use two contour cake pans, flat edges together. (Normally with countour pans, you use one regular pan and one countour pan.)

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 13

If you want to use dummies and not try to carve up the styrofoam yourself, I ordered some dummies (pillow shaped and some similair to the shapes in this cake) from a guy at the Maryland cake show last year. Their website is www.guildcraftfurniture.com - they seem to be able to make just about anything (they charge you by the cut; they are furniture makers so they use leftovers from their manufacturing). If you call them, they can probably accomodate you.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #13 of 13

guildcraft is the best for cake dummies, but order all you need becuz you will save on their surcharge and UPS. great custom service quick shipping and good prices. I got my dummies in 3 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%