Research Under Way

Decorating By Chrissy_Sym Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 9:13am by MikeRowesHunny

Chrissy_Sym Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 11

Hi All
I just wanted to introduce myself as the n00b to your forums and am actually looking for novices, pastry chef's and cake decorators to assist me in some research I am conducting for a book I am currently writing.

I'm from Sydney Australia and work in the Hospitality Industry as a Restaurant Manager. I come from a family of Chef's, married to one and two others in the family. Crazy I know, however I never cook so there is a perk in it all.

Currently I am writing a fictional novel with my main character being a pastry chef and creator of marvelous wedding and novelty cakes. While I have a little experience I hope you guys dont mind my inputting on the forums looking for a bit more insight into some techniques and also information.

I am an avid baker myself and always have been.

So I look forward to contributing to the forums also.

Thanks

Chrissy

10 replies
gscout73 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 11

Sounds great. Good luck!

foxymomma521 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 11

Good luck!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 11

You'll get plenty of glimpses into this (sometimes madcap) profession here! Welcome icon_smile.gif!

Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 11

Sounds exciting! I know CCers will step up to the challenge!

Chrissy_Sym Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 11

Awesome.. Thanks Guys.. I work in the crazy messed up world of Hospitality so I understand that it takes a certain breed ( and level of craziness) to do what is done.. lol..

Having sussed out the forums and the different topics and levels of expertise one thing is evident is that everyones interests, opinions ( differences and agreeances) all stem from what is clearly a passion and love for what they do which is very inspirational at that.

One thing that I envy (and I totally do not have the patience for it) is the eye for detail and the meticulousness that comes with it.. Mad props..

I think my affection for wedding cakes came from years of waitressing initially and waiting for that wedding cake to come into the Kitchen to get cut, and sneaking and critiquing the cake before it went out to the bridal party ( yeah i know i'm going to hell for that).. but amazing..

Thanks for the words of welcome icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 11

Hi Chrissy_Sym and welcome to CC.
I'm in Aus too. If you want to get a glimpse of "the best of the best", you should check out Planet Cake in Balmain. They do classes and are so friendly and helpful. The founder, Paris Cutler, is really lovely, so she might be one to approach re your novel.
If there's anything I can help with (mind you I've only been decorating for about 7 months but I'm obsessed!!) just let me know.
All the best!

quilting2011 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 11

Hi Chrissy.

also how about attending cake shows in your area.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 11

Welcome!

A lot of us really like reading novels with a cake-making heroine...there have been threads about that in the Lounge forum...so the idea of sharing experiences for a book like that is a lot of fun icon_biggrin.gif

Chrissy_Sym Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:35am
post #10 of 11

Lol not too sure if she is a heroine of sorts.. more of an edgy business woman with a bit of attitude and some a great deal of passion.

Book falls under Adult Fiction with a culinary setting. Drawing from my experience in the culinary industry I think for inspiration.. When I get the first draft done which is slowly apporaching I will be sure to post a link to my webiste where this can be viewed..

Thanks for your kind welcoming and words too by the way.. Looking forward to checking out some of the great recipes and getting my hands busy in my own kitchen too..

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:13am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy_Sym

Lol not too sure if she is a heroine of sorts.. more of an edgy business woman with a bit of attitude and some a great deal of passion.

LOL! That sounds like more than a few people on here thumbs_up.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%