Writing On Cookies With Antonia's Ri

Baking By drakegore Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm by TracyLH

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 10

i don't write on cookies that much, but i need to now icon_smile.gif.
i normally use glace icing but that can be really difficult to write with. so i plan on decorating my cookies with glace and then using RI to do the writing.

planning on using antonia's RI.

so my question is this: for writing, is it best to use recipe as written, or to stiffen or loosen it up?

thank you!
diane

9 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 10

I typically have to loosen it up a bit to outline and flood cookies. I think it would probably be ok to pipe lettering as is. You could always add more PS if you need to thicken it.
Good luck!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 10

I use the glace to write with, and have found that you just need to keep adding powdered sugar until the icing is the consistency of peanut butter. I use a #1s tip. You could also use the food decorating pens, as they work very nicely on the glace.

drakegore Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 10

gemini, doesn't your wrist/hand hurt when you get it stiff enough to write with?

the other problem i get when i try to write with glace is that i lose some of the definitition. the writing i will be doing is going to be small and i am afraid the glace will not hold well enough.

i try to do everything with glace, but i am hesitant on the small writing....

GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

gemini, doesn't your wrist/hand hurt when you get it stiff enough to write with?

the other problem i get when i try to write with glace is that i lose some of the definitition. the writing i will be doing is going to be small and i am afraid the glace will not hold well enough.

i try to do everything with glace, but i am hesitant on the small writing....

If I do a lot of cookies, yes, my wrist will begin to hurt. But generally, I can get thru a batch of cookies without a problem. If the icing is so stiff it hurts while you're piping, it needs to be thinned. (The strings on my guitar cookies that I recently posted were done with too-stiff icing.)

drakegore Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 10

but if i thin, then the letters "melt" into one another where they overlap.
i'll give it another shot, but i will have the RI as a back-up, lol.
thanks, diane

GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

but if i thin, then the letters "melt" into one another where they overlap.
i'll give it another shot, but i will have the RI as a back-up, lol.
thanks, diane

It takes a bit of practice to get the consistency right, but it works...honest!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 10

I use RI to write on my cookies but yeh you don't want it too thin that it spreads after you have piped it but you don't want it so thick that it doesn't even stick to the cookie and lifts off.....firmer but still 'sticky' is what i would call it lol

drakegore Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 10

is there any technique or trick to let you know when you reach that perfect consistency for writing?
thank you!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 10

The big thing for me to to pipe a line and make sure it does not spread. Elise is right that if it is too stiff, it will not adhere. Once you have experimented a bit with it, it will feel natural. There is just some trial and error until you get the feel for it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%