Attatching Ribbon To Cake Stand That Can Be Removed?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm by KHalstead

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 16

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to attatch ribbon to the edges of a cake stand or a wood cupcake stand that can be removed without damaging the edges? I made a cupcake tower out of wood and I tried these scotch removable mounting squares but the ribbon would fall off after a while. Other things I have thought of that I might try or if anyone else has tried is rubber cement, or those removable glue dots?
and ideas?
Thanks
Kiley

15 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 16

Double sided tape. Quick and easy. Holds strong, and comes off in one pull of the end.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 16

velcro, though it's kind of thick and I'm not sure what it would look like - I would have to experiment! _Jamie_ what kind of double sided tape? I know there are quite a few different ones - which one would work for that?

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

velcro, though it's kind of thick and I'm not sure what it would look like - I would have to experiment! _Jamie_ what kind of double sided tape? I know there are quite a few different ones - which one would work for that?

icon_redface.gif Ummmm, the yellow and black...what's it called. Scotch? If that's the yellow and black box, that one. And whenever I see a three pack on sale, I grab them!

kileyscakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 16

and would you just reuse that same strip until it quit sticking or does it peel off?

Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 16

I wouldn't have thought that would hold it on! That's cool - I definitely will have to try that! I do diaper cakes and I use cake boards, so that will be cute!

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyscakes

and would you just reuse that same strip until it quit sticking or does it peel off?

No, in the trash it goes, I don't do anything that has equipment that gets returned, so if it goes on a board or something else, I don't see it again.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 16

I use glue dots on my wooden cupcake stands. I usually stick one every 3 or 4 inches around the stand.

I have also used just regular white school glue (elmer's) if it's a darker colored ribbon (sometimes it looks like you can see the spots you glued)

kileyscakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 16

are they the removable kind?

kileyscakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 16

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 16

I couldn't get regular double stick to stick to my cake drum...ended up hot gluing it but it did sort of damage the edges a bit. I'll try to glue dots next time but if the double stick you are talking about is not the "drug store" type but rather a hardware store type please share the brand?

Thanx!

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I couldn't get regular double stick to stick to my cake drum...ended up hot gluing it but it did sort of damage the edges a bit. I'll try to glue dots next time but if the double stick you are talking about is not the "drug store" type but rather a hardware store type please share the brand?

Thanx!

I take a paper towel with either some vodka or gin on it, and rub the edges down real well, and then dry them. Then the tape sticks. If there is any residue from fondant, bc, or crisco, it won't stick.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 16

I always use Zots (the removable sticky dots), and never have a problem. However, everytime I try to use an off brand...they don't stick nearly as well, and I find them to be more trouble than they're worth. For the extra dollar, I'll stick to Zots.

icon_smile.gif

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 16

Perhaps scrapbooking tape would work? It's like double-sided tape but supposedly removable/repositionable?

Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #15 of 16

The scrapbooking tape would probably work - some of it is made to be heavier duty - that's a great idea too!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyscakes

The peel right off if you're trying to get them off, if you're not TRYING to pull them off they stay put. I've had some white ribbon around my wooden cupcake tower since I made it last year and have just been attaching other ribbon over the white ribbon when I rent it out and the white ribbon has stayed put all this time without budging, but I just tried to pull the ribbon off and the glue dot will pull off if I intentionally grab it and stretch it out and pull it off.

I love glue dots. I bought a box of 1,000 like 2 yrs ago..Iuse them to hold ribbon on wedding cakes, on my cake boards...I use them to attach my business cards to the top of the cake boxes...I still haven't used all 1,000 yet. I paid like $11 for the box and thought that was SO EXPENSIVE but honestly if i bought the little boxes in the scrapbooking aisle (they're like $3 for 20 dots!)I would have paid so much more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%