Need A Nut Free Cake Decorator - Columbus, Oh

Decorating By marrenistvan Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm by NutFreeSweets

marrenistvan Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 9

I had the unfortunate task today of telling a client I couldn't do her cake because I didn't feel that I could guarantee a nut-free environment. So, i was hoping to help her out by finding someone that could help her.

I have no idea how to find someone, does anyone have any suggestions where to start? Do bakeries guarantee nut-free? I'm new to this whole issue, so I am starting from scratch on my search.

8 replies
sweettooth622 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 9

Hi Marrenistvan ~ I don't know about Ohio bakeries, but here in WA they can't guarantee any of their products to be nut free. There is almost always a risk of cross contamination. I know this because my son has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy.
I have to bake his birthday cakes from scratch or find boxed mixes that are peanut/tree nut free. And I usually have to bring him his own cupcake or some type of replacement if we go to another kid's Bday because I can't guarantee the cake they may have is safe.

I hope someone in Ohio can help your client. I feel their frustration over the allergy issue.

cheatize Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:59am
post #3 of 9

Urgh, there's a vegan bakery in Columbus that I think is also nut-free but darned if I can remember the name. If I find it, I'll let you know.

loriemoms Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:04am
post #4 of 9

I don t know of any bakers, but I had to say when I saw the message title, the first thing I thought of is there are no cake decorators that are NOT nuts!

sorry for hijacking...continue.

cheatize Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:09am
post #5 of 9

Here it is:

I linked the FAQ page because it answers the nut question.

"peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat & gluten:
Upon request we can carefully prepare special-order allergen-free items. However, we are not a dedicated allergen-free bakery. As our bakery uses nuts, soy, and wheat, there is a possibility of cross contamination for all other items, even those that do not contain any given allergen. Please use your discretion when ordering if you or someone you love has a food-sensitivity."

In case the link doesn't show up, it's Pattycake Vegan Bakery on High St.

jolmk Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 9

My niece buys cupcakes from Pattycake Bakery, she has a dairy allergy. The chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing was really good.

msauer Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #7 of 9

I think the main problem is the word "guarantee". I don't know of any Ohio bakers (esp. those of us who are insured) will GUARANTEE that it is a nut free environment.

I know Pattycake does vegan, gluten free, etc. but I don't believe they are nut free. Again...guarantee is a very scary word!!!!

marrenistvan Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much to all for the helpful ideas and comments! And the chuckle icon_smile.gif I will pass the information along.

NutFreeSweets Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

I know the post is a little old, but I just opened a peanut and nut free bakery out of my home. We are a peanut and nut free dedicated kitchen which means no nuts of any kind enter our doors. Check us out at

Quote by @%username% on %date%