For Those Of You That Have A Business: Ices Certification

Business By DelectabilityCakes Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm by snarkybaker

DelectabilityCakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys,
I don't know if this has been asked before but has anyone here completed the ICES Certification exam.

http://www.ices.org/education/certification/certification.html

I have been looking into it for a few months and it's one of my longterm goals but what I was wondering is how many business owners (storefront, commercial kitchen, etc) have actually done this as part of building up their portfolio/certification along with setting yourself apart from the competition.

Some of the more detailed exam pieces at least to me at this stage are intense and extremely intricate.. so I was wondering among my peers how many people have undergone this challenge or if most people leave it to others to do because it's not for them.

icon_eek.gif I want to do it but not for a few years I can tell that much now.

7 replies
Loucinda Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 8

This is only the 3rd year that they have had the certification process, and there are a limited number who are allowed to try for it a year. (that is how I understood it)

IMO to lay folks, I don't think it would mean that much. To us that are in the business of cakes, we do!

It is not an easy feat - and not all those who attempt it get the certification.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

This is only the 3rd year that they have had the certification process, and there are a limited number who are allowed to try for it a year. (that is how I understood it)

IMO to lay folks, I don't think it would mean that much. To us that are in the business of cakes, we do!

It is not an easy feat - and not all those who attempt it get the certification.

I agree as far as sales not a blip.

Mike

cakesdivine Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 8

It would only hold prestige within the cake world, the potential client only will care about your ability to do their cake the way they want it and that it tastes great. You don't need certification for that. Is it worth the expense and time to you? If you are doing it soley for personal acheivement reasons then go for it, but I highly doubt it will boost your biz.

11cupcakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 8

I do not think it can bring more customers. I think most people pay more attention to your displays, your pictures and recommendations. It would not hurt to get certified and it will be helpful if you choose to teach later.

metria Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 8

reading the guidelines blew my mind. please, what is the nirvana style? i couldn't find a good explanation on my initial google search.

Mensch Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 8

Do they certify the quality of the cake itself? Honestly, the cake can be as gorgeous as possible, incorporating 128 different techniques, but if it's a gummy soggy mess that tastes like sh*t then that certificate ain't worth crap.

snarkybaker Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 8

ICES means nothing to your customers, nor does something like RBA's Certified Master Baker Program ( which is largely a math test). If you are trying to do a real value add, find a charity with a celebrity spokesperson and volunteer to do a cake for them.
" Clients include Snoop Dog, Bill and Hillary Clinton and Opah" mean more than ICES Master Sugar artist to the average jow and will get you more money and business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%