Moth Orchids, Here's My Story. What Can You Add?

Decorating By jewelsq Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm by cblupe

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 8

I have a small wedding cake next week for which the bride has asked for Phaleanopsis or Moth Orchids.

I got the cutters that have the labellum, large petal and the 3-pronged petal.
I used 2 printed tutorials (Thank you, Shirley) and of course did an extensive search on the forum in preparation. I was NOT going to suffer through this.
I cut all the wires first and bent the ends.

My labellums were a bit thick. That's okay. At first, I wish the seller of the cutter had recommended or even included a veiner in the set but I used my hand-held veining tool and that worked out quite nicely as it stretched and veined and ended up looking quite natural.

It was really difficult coordinating the sugarpaste piece on the wire, which was placed in non-stick sprayed foil and then left to dry in an egg carton.

The only piece left for last was the 3-pronged petal which would be soft and have the taped pieces pierced through the center before drying.

So, it dries for at least 24 hours (each piece on an individual wire) and I attempt to start taping wires together. Here comes the suffering!! Every piece of sugarpaste would not stick on the wire.

I ended up removing all wires. I cut the 3-pronged petal and started gluing the petals and labellums together with a lump of sugarpaste glue goo. I then place the finished flower in a sprayed foil back in the egg carton to dry. I also painted them since the top parts were dry. I have week for them to dry. Crossing my fingers.

What tips, ideas or nightmares do you have to add to this?

7 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 8

I find, that trying to make gumpaste/fondant flowers on a plain wire is a nightmare. They don't stick or fall off after they're dry, slip and slide. Soooooo, I decided to avoid the headache and frustration, just wrap your wires in floral tape beforetrying to put petals on it. becasue of the floral tape everything will hold in place and no more fretting, unless the piece breaks. HTH

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobueno

I find, that trying to make just wrap your wires in floral tape beforetrying to put petals on it. becasue of the floral tape everything will hold in place and no more fretting, unless the piece breaks. HTH

That is what I do too, the paste will stick to the tape and doesnt come off at all!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 8

Agreed. I learned this same lesson when making peonies, my first attempt at individually wired petals.

Now, I use a 26 gauge wire that comes already wrapped in white tape. This way it won't show through the petal like green tape would. I also coat the wire very lightly in egg white before inserting. I also use the ridged celboard that puts a thick vein in each petal that the wire can be inserted into.

You may already know some of this, but these are the things I discovered.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 8

I sympathize. I have my cymbidium, but not moth orchids yet. They are fussy flowers to assemble.

I have only used wires that are already pre-taped, that is the only type used in my sugarcraft class, so I have no experience with regular wire.

The glue I use for class is rose water and tylose in a paint brush bottle. (They sell them here) Only 1/8th will do, no more or it will be too thick like a syrup. I have found it works best for me in a lighter consistency. I use the rose water because I like the smell, PLUS, it is already pure and no need to use boiled water, as taught in class.

You may consider using the wires you have and heating them up with a lighter until the tips are red and then insert to the ones you have already made. Of course, use extreme caution! -- I saw this technique quietly demo'd at a cake show with fresh paste, but not sure how it would work with dry...
icon_wink.gif

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 8

Brilliant answers, one and all...
Tape the wires before...wow.
I so have to learn to go against the rules...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsq

Brilliant answers, one and all...
Tape the wires before...wow.
I so have to learn to go against the rules...

icon_lol.gif Too cute. But yup, sometimes you do. Good luck and let us see when your done!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 8

I use taped wires dipped in egg white. I have never had a issue with the petals falling off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%