Don't Like Doing Scratch Cakes

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm by Mike1394

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 9

Tried to make a cake from scratch . . . well tried making them into cupcakes what a mess. Is there a difference in recipes for cupcakes vs cakes?

8 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 9

I bake exclusively from scratch and have certain recipes that just don't work for cuppies. I have a lovely chocolate cake recipe that bakes up nice and high as a cake (even a 4"-cake works), but put it in cupcakes pans and it sinks like a stone.

It's a matter of finding or developing the right formulas for the right applications.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 9

- what do you mean by "mess"?

- What recipe did you use?

- Not all cake recipes are suited to cupcakes.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

Ditto to Mensch and art. My white cake recipe for cake, is a disaster when making cuppies. Yes-disaster! If I had any interest in making cuppies, other than the couple times I tried before, I'd find a different one for those!

kaddikakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 9

I used a scratch recipes for Red Velvet. The top of the cupcakes spread so I had to cut off the tops. The cupcakes still tasted good but looked terrible.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #6 of 9

You might have over-filled the cupcake cups. Or, that recipe just isn't suited for cuppies. Some scratch recipes only work in certain pans.

kaddikakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 9

Is there anyway to tell if a recipe is good for cuppies? Or is just by trial and error. I love this site. icon_surprised.gif)

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 9

Trial and error in my opinion is the best thing for a scratch baker. You need to learn they whys and why nots for yourself so you know your product inside and out. Not just what people tell you. If you have particular recipes you are interested in, post them WITH their ingredients and instructions. Some of us might be able to tell by looking them over...not me, but the scratch master pterrell up thereprobably can! icon_wink.gif

But a blanket "this will workand this won't",very difficult.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 9

PSSSST lessen the BP. You didn't hear it from me though.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%