Cake Spackle => Wow!

Decorating By metria Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm by CakeInfatuation

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm
post #31 of 35

It turned my hideous Wilton pan 6" rounds into a thing of beauty!

I'm not sure what's up with my 6" rounds. I'm using the Wilton 6"x2" pans. Here they are leveled and layered.

Are you using bakers joy to spray your pans before you bake? I use the same pans and when I use my bakers joy they are nice, sealed, intact cakes. I love the spackle Idea I was just curious about why the cakes were coming out like that of those particular pans.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #32 of 35

i smear crisco inside the pan then dust it with flour (how i do any other cake pan). i think i just don't put a heavy enough coat ... those little pans are unwieldy for me. or maybe it's the recipe ... or maybe it's my oven. i have yet to have pretty 6" rounds. last night i baked a 7"x3" round with 2 6"x2" rounds ... the 7" was beautiful ... the 6" were not icon_sad.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i smear crisco inside the pan then dust it with flour (how i do any other cake pan). i think i just don't put a heavy enough coat ... those little pans are unwieldy for me. or maybe it's the recipe ... or maybe it's my oven. i have yet to have pretty 6" rounds. last night i baked a 7"x3" round with 2 6"x2" rounds ... the 7" was beautiful ... the 6" were not icon_sad.gif

I love bakers joy $1.88 a can at wally world and I spray and forget it. For me it works better than the recipe for cake release. Even if my cakes didnt stick with the recipe (or just plain shortening and flour) they were never sealed as nicely as with bakers joy. Makes crumb coating a breeze, not a lot of crumb comes off. Just my two pennies icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #34 of 35

ok, i'm sold. i was doing the groceries the other day and stared at the can of Baker's Joy. it wasn't expensive. i think i hesitated because of my experiences with baking and spray PAM. it brought up childhood memories of broken bundt cakes! i'll buy it next time i go shopping though!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #35 of 35

I always line my pans with parchment. It makes sure there is no sticking and then I can fill the pans fuller and not have it run out if I need a taller cake.

grease pan with shortening, line bottom with parchment, line sides... Voila! Time consuming but WORTH IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%