What Food Color Would You Use For Lapis?

Decorating By bafishr Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm by LaBellaFlor

bafishr Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:31am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to do a cake with a Lapis color. Would you use midnight blue? I've looked for a Lapis but can't find anythng but midnight blue.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:58am
post #2 of 6

I have a lapis necklace and it's more of a deep royal blue with veins of gold through it. Being that it's a rock, it comes in different shades...there's not one exact shade. Even on the necklace, there's some color variations between beads. I think midnight blue is a little too dark and grayish though.

Toptier Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:05am
post #3 of 6

I too was just asked to do a cake with Lapis accents. In my case, the color is one of David's Bridals standard colors - I was told that it is a dark purple. Check out the David's Bridal website for their color swatches.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 6

Here are some pictures of what a lapis gemstone looks like. I've never seen them in purple before, but that doesn't mean they don't. When I think of lapis, I think blue with specks of gold, and perhaps a bit of green mixed in to the blue. I never think of purple.

You might want to get a swatch from your customer to be sure.

artscallion Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 6

I would ask the client to do a google image search under "lapis", find a picture of the color they're looking for, and email you the picture.

If you do this search yourself, you can see that they are all blue, no purple. But there are variances in shade, intensity and amount of gold (do you know if she wants the gold included?)

LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 6

Great advice from Artscallion. Your lapis may not be the slients lapis. For me it would be royal blue, with touches of purple and black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%