Lemon Filling

Decorating By nola Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm by LaBellaFlor

nola Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #1 of 7

Can lemon pie filling be used for lemon cake filling?
If so, how do you go about it?!

6 replies
AverageMom Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:35am
post #2 of 7

Yes, it most certainly can. It's a bit strong, in my opinion, so go lightly. Put a thick buttercream dam around the edge, fill in with pie filling, and put the next layer on. I like to put a layer of whipped frosting on first, something light, and then the dam, and then the lemon. Very tasty!

Lita829 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #3 of 7

I believe you can use lemon pie filling but I think that lemon curd may be a better choice because it sets a little firmer than the pie filling. If you do go with the pie filling..make sure you have a thick icing dam so that it won't spill out from between the layers.

HTH

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #4 of 7

You can thicken it up by adding a little cornstarch. But you'll need to heat it & mix the cornstarch w/ water before adding it to the pie filling. A curd you'll definitely need to refrigerate the cake.

j_arney Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 7

Why would you need to refrigerate the cake if it has curd? Lemon curd is sold on the shelves in the grocery store (not refrigerated). Would only home-made curd need to be refrigerated?

icer101 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 7

i love the way avergemom put it.....there are sleeves of it also.. you can make your own lemon pie filling from scratch also.. besides the curd..love the curd also.. these recipes for the curd and pie filling would be on this site..hth

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 7

I would go with lemon curd. It is definetly thicker. Lemon curd can be shelved when it is has been canned, but once open, it needs to be refigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%