Mineral Makeup, Any Thoughts Or Advice?

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #1 of 21

Hello all!

I just wanted to see if any of you have any experience with Bare Escentuals or any other mineral make up. I went and got my makeup done today and I liked it a lot but I wanted to research before I buy it, it's a little expensive! Any advice or if you have any experience with it I'd like to hear about it, the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of money on it and get it home and not like it a month later!

Thank you!!

20 replies
mkolmar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:22am
post #2 of 21

That's all I use. (except for eyeliner and mascara are MaryKay)
I use Everyday Minerals brand. I'm really happy with the product and have been using it for probably 2 years.

Mrs-A Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 21

i love love love my mineral powder!

firstly im a seriously low maitenance kinda gal and it takes less than 2mins to apply and im done (i dont wear eyeshadow and i have my eye lashed tinted so a bit of lippy and im out the door)

secondly i suffer from rosacea (i get red, splotchy face that comes and goes) and i feel the mineral powder has made it more managable and better - and just a little bit of powder covers so much

but.. i must warn you, applying mineral powder every day can get messy and the bathroom does need a bit of a cleanup because the tiniest amount of powder in a white bathroom spreads so much

to test it out, i suggest buying a few small sachels via ebay first - that way you havent committed too much $$$ before you decide you dont like it - this is what i did at first or try the SheerCover as i believe they offer you a 30 day money back thing, although i think Sheercover is very overpriced you can always buy the initial offer and then cancel the deal and buy only when you need it

AverageMom Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:38am
post #4 of 21

I don't get the difference between mineral makeup and regular makeup. Does it work differently?

Doug Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 21
Originally Posted by AverageMom

I don't get the difference between mineral makeup and regular makeup. Does it work differently?

i teach theatre

that means I have to teach a make-up unit

so, first lesson:

"There's a funny irony about makeup. First you wash your face to get it all clean and then you turn around and put over priced colored dirt on it! Just the grownup version of playing in the mud! Ditto for the hair!"

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 21

I don't wear make-up much anymore, but when I do, I use Bare Escentuals. I had tried another, cheaper brand first, but didn't like it as much. I have extremely sensitive skin and all other make-ups make my face itch terribly. Also, my eyes would get blurry and watery from anything that went on my eyes. I get very little itching with the Bare Escentuals and my eyes are fine

I purchased at Sephora. You can return things to them if you don't like it..

bonniebakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 21

I use Bare Escentuals, too, and I love it. I have really sensitive skin and rosacea and it's the only thing I've ever found that didn't irritate my skin or make me break out or get a rash.. I don't wear anything else except mascara and lip gloss.

it is pricey... I get mine at either Sephora or BE - both can be ordered online or in store and both places take returns if you don't like it - even if it has been used for a while.

cylstrial Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #8 of 21

I bought Bare Escentuals and liked it. Again, it was kind of expensive.

KitchenKat Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:58am
post #9 of 21

I use BE too, when I want a sheer, natural look. To get good results, it's all about the technique. Put too much and it will look obvious and cakey. Too little and you won't get good coverage.

I use the BE matte foundation. It gives great, natural looking, sheer coverage. But...I live in a very humid country in Asia and i find that if I'm wearing BE foundation and staying outdoors my face tends to get oily and shiny. It's great though if I'm staying indoors (air conditioned) because it stays fresh and natural looking. Doesn't clump or look obvious, unlike the usual powders.

I also find that BE foundation and other mineral makeup don't cover blemishes well. On the - thankfully - rare occasion when I get a pimple, I put a creamy concealer over it first before putting BE foundation.

To keep my make-up area clean, I lay a sheet of tissue down before opening the pot. that way if ever there are any spills, they will be contained. Some powder does fly off though, if you happen to shake out too much. The brush you use must be cleaned regularly otherwise it can grab the powder and streak. Also dirty brushes can cause irritation.

All in all, I wouldn't say that this is any better than my usual powder/cake foundation. I bought it because I'm a makeup junkie

Sagebrush Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #10 of 21

I haven't tried the Bare Essentials, but I have used the mineral powders of some of the regular makeup brands, and I really like it. I have only used the foundation type, not the blush and eyeshadow type, but for foundation, I like it better than any other kind I've tried.

One note... the kind (I think it's Loreal) is pressed, not loose. I found with the loose, it made such a mess that it drove me nuts.

- Leisel

FierceConfections Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:55am
post #11 of 21

I use it and love it! It is expensive, but since I've been using it (about two years now) I haven't had near the amount of breakouts I used to get when I was using traditional makeup.

sadsmile Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:03am
post #12 of 21

I love the Bare Essentials ID Bare Minerals! You must have the right brushes. I use the concealer brush with the bisque cover up and then The buki with the face powder and then the blush brush with the veil. Buy their brushes and the right ones you need it makes the world of difference. I have washed my brushes over and over again. They are the highest quality and I have had them for 7 years. That stuff works! I use a lot less then they sell to you in the club so I stock up when I can afford to stay with the regular shipments and then I place my membership and shipments on hold till I run out. One quick call and back on the ball. The prices when ordering as a club member are less then if you walked into their store and got stuff. But you must go into a store and let them give you a make over. You really won't believe what the right powder can do.
One tip is if you have an oily complexion( I sure do) is to buy a really great facial primer/perfector that sets to dry. I also live in humid FL and that melts off the make up. I use a couple that aren't sold in stores any more. It really makes the make up last all day perfect. Without it is slowly fades away but not noticeably just a gradual return almost to naked skin. A touch up is easy and because it's powder it never looks like you've applied make up twice. I can't say enough good things about it. I can't wear sunscreen because my face breaks out like chicken pox if I do. But this does keep me from burning.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #13 of 21

Like others have said, it definetly helps with cetain skin issues. I use the Mary Kay minerals brand.

MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #14 of 21

I used to use BE, but I switched to Laura Mercier mineral powder foundation, I really like it. I found that BE had to much shimmer for me, and it made my pores look bigger. I have very dry skin, so I have to use a foundation primer before applying it!! I like the mineral powders because they feel so light, you don't feel like you have a bunch of goop on your face, and it doesn't come off on things like other makeups do.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 21

I used to use BE, too. I liked the concept and the ease of application. But it didn't really help with my specific skin issues. My skin is oily and BE always made me feel like I was "glowing" even more. I now use mostly Smashbox products, which work great on me. Everyone's different. I say, if you like how BE looks on you, go for it! When I used it, I definitely felt like it was worth the price. thumbs_up.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 21

I love the mineral powder makeup, and I love how fast I can finish my makeup routine in the morning, just a few minutes and I'm DONE!! lol And you can't even tell you have it on, it's not heavy at all. Liquid and cream makeup just starts to cake up on me by the end of the day, this mineral makeup is amazing!

I've tried Bare Escentuals and really didn't like it. www.everydayminerals is really good and I've just recently tried www.signatureminerals.com and I really like that better than the everyday minerals. I know that signature minerals has a trial kit that you can get and I think that everyday minerals might too, I can't remember. Plus neither one of those is near as expensive as the BE brand! lol I like the color choices on signature minerals better.

It does take a little skill to get it just right, but once you get used to it, you can just about do it in your sleep!

sadsmile Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #17 of 21

Oooo I am ordering a sample kit right now!!! If it's just as good at half the price I am soo down with that!

mkolmar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #18 of 21

I'm going to give the signature minerals a shot. A free sample of colors so how can I go wrong. Everyday Minerals has the same offer also. I liked that they allowed you to try a few different shades first and I've been ordering from them since and so has my mom.
I'm interested to see how the Signature Minerals work for me. I have horrible skin. I break out like a teenager and I'm in my early 30's. (Hormone imbalance due to having children, as well as inheriting my grandma's skin issues.--uggg!) I like the mineral makeup because it doesn't clog your pores. I have enough skin issues on my own without my makeup adding to the problem.

KASCARLETT Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #19 of 21

And with the Signature Minerals makeup, a little goes a long way! Also try their moisterizers. I have the Rosehip and it has really made a difference with my skin. It's very light, almost silky and it's not greasy. That also take a very little amount. Great to wear under the makeup. Their shipping is really fast too!! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #20 of 21

yeah I was looking at the primer that has anti microbial properties from natural ingredients. Sounds nice. And Tea tree or grape fruit oil toner.

JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #21 of 21

Thank you for all of your replies! You have convinced me to try the BE! (and the fact that I went to put on my regular covergirl foundation the day after I had my BE makeup done and I hated the way it felt compared to BE icon_razz.gif) I hope that I like it as much after I get it, I have red spots on my face from pregnancy and the BE completely hid it while my regular make up I used concealer and foundation and it didn't cover it up and I felt like I had a thick mask on compared to the mineral makeup! So once again, THANK YOU all! :]

Quote by @%username% on %date%