Layering Cakes

Decorating By Steph96 Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 2:37am by indydebi

Steph96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph96 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 8

I'm new to making cakes and I can't seem to layer my cakes without them falling into pieces while I'm trying. I've been using the boxed cake mixes until I get the hang of it and quit wasting cakes. Am I not baking the cake enough or is it too moist? Am I supposed to actually put one cake on top of another or do I cut one cake horizontally? Am I supposed to freeze the cake before layering it? Any tips or links would be great!

7 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

Maybe try wrapping the layers and refrigerating overnight? That might firm up the cakes before layering.

I refrigerate my cakes between every step and they still taste moist and yummy when they are served (at room temp). It makes them easier to work with, and transport.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 8

I don't know exactly how new you are to making cakes, but in case you're really new, be sure to level your cakes before layering them.

Steph96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph96 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 8

By new to making cakes, I mean that I've never done much other than the typical homemade birthday cake.

When putting one layer on top of the other, do I need some type of support or should I be able to transfer it by hand?

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 8

I too use boxed cake mixes. I have these thin plastic flexible cutting boards that I use to slide under the cake layer after I torte it. They work great!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #6 of 8

I freeze them and they handle beautifully!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

I like to freeze my cakes before layering. My cakes are ALWAYS moist, so don't let that worry you. I like to use a cutting board or a flat cookie sheet to slide between the layers to lift the top one off. I have also used a cake board too. HTH and good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #8 of 8

Why don't you describe every step you are doing for us, from the moment the cakes come out of the oven, and we'll be better able to troubleshoot it for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%