My First Scratch Wedding Cake...?

Baking By cakedesigner59 Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm by _Jamie_

cakedesigner59 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 13

I'm a WASC kind of gal (never done a huge cake like a wedding cake from scratch before), but I have a bride who wants more of a "pound cake" crumb for her wedding cake. I have a delicious recipe for (scratch) Almond Sour cream pound cake, but I am terrified of trying to make enough to fill a 16" round pan (would it even bake in the middle?). The one time I tried using a heating core, the cake sank in the middle and I had to throw it out.
Any suggestions for this terrified un-scratch baker?

12 replies
costumeczar Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 13

Use the flower nails instead of a heating core. I'd put three or four in there for a 16" pan and it should be fine. Don't be afraid! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 13

You could also bake shorter layers instead of trying to bake up a 2" layer, only fill the pan enough to yield you a 1".

It will bake up faster and more evenly if there is less batter.

Only downside is you'll need to bake more layers.

I would do a trial run with your recipe before you commit to it.

Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with dkelly. IMO, you have an advantage using a pound cake recipe - those are the easiest scratch cakes to make. I would also use the bake even strips, since pound cakes tend to want to dome quite a bit too.

raquel1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 13

My three rules for no bellies on my cakes are baking at lower temp, using bake even strip (homemade with rags and paper clips), and several flower nails (at least 4 for 16")

cakedesigner59 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 13

Thanks, all. Deb, do you mean bake a trial 16" layer? That seems like a lot to waste. On square cakes, I just fold and wet paper towels and press them on the corners of the cake. Don't need paper clips or anything. They stay on by themselves if you wet them enough (almost dripping wet).

Elise87 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 13

i was just reading and thought about this not that i know anything about big layers of cake or wedding stuff but if you do a trial run of a 16" layer cake and it turns out fine but you don't want to eat it, can you cut it up so it will fit in your freezer and then the next time you want to make a carved cake or a smaller square cake you could defrost it and use that layer cut into pieces stacked up to make the new cakes?

I dunno just a though cose i hate waste too icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 13
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

Deb, do you mean bake a trial 16" layer? That seems like a lot to waste.

Oh there's no such thing as wasted cake!!! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, tho, if you plan to do this cake and aren't sure you need to do a test run just for your own peace of mind. I do test runs on new recipes all the time just to be sure they turn out and are delicious. Take your "test" cake and wrap it up for the freezer then when you need a quickie cake you'll have one ready for use.

Good luck!

itsacake Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #9 of 13

I think Deb is suggesting that instead of baking 2 two-inch tall cakes and torting, you could bake 4 one-inch tall cakes. With less batter in the pan, the cakes bake more evenly-- and much more quickly. This is what many professional chefs do.

With taller cakes in a large pan, it can sometimes be hard to get the centers done without overcooking the edges, even with flower nails and baking strips.

ptanyer Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #10 of 13

I did a large 7 tier wedding cake from scratch last May for my niece's wedding. (A photo of it is in my photos). Alternating tiers of vanilla pound cake and chocolate cake. The 16" tier I made in three - 1" layers. Just make sure the pan fit's into your oven with some clearance to allow the heat to circulate. Make one batch of the recipe you are planning on using and measure how many cups of batter you get from each batch. Then calculate how many cups of batter you need to make 1" layers in the 16" pan. I made the entire cake using just a 5 qt Kitchenaid. I made batch after batch and refrigerated it. When I had enough made for a layer, I filled the pan and started it baking while I made more batter. I did the same thing for the icing. I also used homemade bake even strips using tinfoil and wet paper towels, and used 2 cake cores - one in the middle of the top half of the cake pan and one in the middle of the bottom half (my pans were square) and used 4 flower nails - one in each corner about 4" in from the corner of the pan. Also cooked at a lower temp. No problems at all.

A good pound cake recipe will take you a long way. Moist and dense and easy to work with.

Hope that helps! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

cakedesigner59 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks, all. You've given me a lot to think about. I am thisclose to turning down the order, I'm so frightened. I'm afraid it's going to be awfully dry.

moxey2000 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #12 of 13

Don't give up this order because you fear a dry cake. You can always brush your layers with a simple syrup, giving them a moist, delicious boost of flavor.

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 13
Originally Posted by raquel1

My three rules for no bellies on my cakes are baking at lower temp, using bake even strip (homemade with rags and paper clips), and several flower nails (at least 4 for 16")

I knew I had better listen to everyone when they said strips were the way to go for bigger cakes this past week. It helped immensely! Perfectly flat tops, and even baking! I fully endorse strips and nails in all cakes 12" and up now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%