8Mm Bead Maker

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 4:35am by madgeowens

cakesrock Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 7

My DH gave me a little shopping spree at my local decorating store for my b-day! Oh what fun that was! icon_biggrin.gif It was an opportunity to get some 'nice to haves' that I usually wouldn't buy but could use. I got an 8mm bead maker and it will be great when I get into wedding cakes. But I dont' have any right now.

I'd love to try it out. Any tips on using it and what I can make with it? I only have a volleyball cake coming up in the near future. But I'd love to do something with the beads. Any suggestions?

TIA!

6 replies
bettinashoe Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

What type of bead maker is it? There are a few different styles and they work different ways. I've put the beads on as cake borders or framed designs on my cakes. If you have the flat mold you need to practice with it a little and fold it over after you put the fondant in to make a nice, round bead.

icer101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 7

hi, i,ve only used them on b/d cakes and wedding cakes.. i dusted pearl dust really good in the bead maker.. rolled out a sausage of fondant/gp mixture... roll it the length of the bead maker... open bead maker press in the mixture. close top.. press good together.. with a spatula .lay flat and trim off extra mixture.. and on the ends.. press again. trim again.. the open bead maker.. let pearl beads slowly fall out. if you have to.. use lilttle brush and help out. some people cut off the edge that you see. some don.t.. brush little water or glue bottom of cake. and press the beads to the cake.. i do have a pic in my photos of a b/d cake using this method. and using jennifer dontz... pearl clay recipe. went really well.. hth

cakesrock Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

What type of bead maker is it? There are a few different styles and they work different ways. I've put the beads on as cake borders or framed designs on my cakes. If you have the flat mold you need to practice with it a little and fold it over after you put the fondant in to make a nice, round bead.

It's one that has a top and bottom (mold-like).

bettinashoe Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:34am
post #5 of 7

I've found that type (closes on the fondant) takes a little more work to get the beads out of the mold than the other but it makes a really pretty bead. Just work at it and you'll have loads of fun!

cakesrock Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:35am
post #7 of 7

you can brush the inside with cornstarch also before putting fondant/gumpaste in...it helps to keep them from sticking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%