Fondant Sticking When I Roll It Out...

Decorating By cakesbykaren09 Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 1:15am by Musings9

cakesbykaren09 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 14

MMF sticks to surfaces when I roll it out. What surface is best to roll fondant out on? I've added powdered sugar but can't seem to find the right consistancy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Karen

13 replies
bettinashoe Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 14

I place a large piece of vinyl, which they sell by the yard, on my work surface. I thenk coat the surface, lightly, with shortening and put my fondant on that. I place another sheet of vinyl over the fondant ball and roll on top of the plastic. When you get your fondant to size, take off the top piece of vinyl and then fold the bottom, or roll it, and place it on your cake with the fondant against the cake. Peel off your vinyl and your fondant is in place. So, back to your question, I use a little shortening on the surface and on my hands

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 14

I dust my work surface (stainless steel work table) with corn starch to roll out my fondant. It works great.....I found that using PS made my fondant too dry.

I place cornstarch in a piece of cheese cloth tied at the end and just bang it on the table to "lightly" dust it.

HTH

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 14

I use vinyl and dust it lightly with cornstarch with a pastry brush. When the MMF starts to look a little shiny on top, dust the top, then flip it and dust the other side. When the piece is rolled to the size you want, rub your hands over it to remove any excess cornstarch and make it smooth and shiny.

AngelFood4 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I dust my work surface (stainless steel work table) with corn starch to roll out my fondant. It works great.....I found that using PS made my fondant too dry.

I place cornstarch in a piece of cheese cloth tied at the end and just bang it on the table to "lightly" dust it.

Ditto! Don't worry about using too much of the cornstarch either...You can always brush the excess off the cake. I use a fan tipped brush.

LittleLinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 14

I roll between parchment paper. Nothing seems to stick to parchment.

icingimages Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 14

I use a light coat of Crisco. I have found using corn starch drys the fondant quicker. If you use FOndarific fondant, you do not have to worry about it sticking to your surface.

idgalpal Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 14

I have tried powdered sugar, corn starch and Crisco. A small amount of Crisco on a vinyl surface seems to work the best for me. I never have a sticking problem, and the fondant doesn't dry out and crack.

Darthburn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:36am
post #9 of 14

I had poor luck with PS so I switched to Cornstarch and it works like a charm. I use it on a granite slab.

Agree with AngelFood, use as much as you need for it not to stick and gently fold it back and dust if off with a brush before applying to the cake.

Don't forget while rolling: Roll, rotate, roll, rotate. If you use 1/4 turns after each roll you lessen the chances of mashing it stuck into one spot.

cakesbykaren09 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 14

Oh my gosh you guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the great advice! I will try them and post my results in a few days!!!
Thanks to everyone SOOOOO much!
-Karen icon_biggrin.gif

Odyssey Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 14

I've only recently started working with fondant, but you have to make sure your surface and hands are lightly greased to prevent sticking. My instructor told us to use a half and half mix of the powdered sugar and cornstarch so it doesn't dry out the fondant too much. So far I've not had too many issues.

Good Luck!

cakesbykaren09 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #12 of 14

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

KimberlysKakery Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:10am
post #13 of 14

I am another corn starch user! Love it!

Musings9 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #14 of 14

Cornstarch & Crisco on one of those big, blue vinyl pastry mats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%