Freezing Buttercream?

Decorating By CourtneysSweets Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 10:22pm by tigerhawk83

CourtneysSweets Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 8

I have lots of butter that expires in two weeks. I have no time to bake so can I freeze the buttercream I make today and it be the same out of the freeze? I will be making Buttercream Dream.

7 replies
zdebssweetsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure what Buttercream Dream is but I do freeze left over butter cream icing, guess it depends how long you intend to freeze it.

CourtneysSweets Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 8

Until about March. So two months. I won't have time for the big batch I need to make. So all efforts will be towards the cake is my idea icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 8

You can also freeze the butter and then pull it out when you need it to make icing.

I have made IndyDeb's recipe for several years now and it freezes very well. I just used some for a last minute family birthday cake and you couldn't tell the difference from fresh made and frozen.

HTH's!
Pam

CourtneysSweets Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8

I was nervous about freezing the butter then defrosting.. I heard it wasn't good for baking. Have you done it? I'd much rather do that! icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 8

I've done it all my life with no problems at all. We had a family of 7 when I was growing up, and always had bread, butter and milk in the freezer for backups when we started to run out of those essentials. We could not taste any difference at all. I have never noticed any problem with baking using defrosted butter. I defrost it in the refrigerator before taking it out to come to room temp. But if I get a really last minute order, then I defrost it on the counter with no change in taste or in the structure of the butter itself.

CourtneysSweets Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

tigerhawk83 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 8

I buy lots of butter on sale and freeze it - absolutely no difference than unfrozen butter in baking, icing etc.

However I also freeze buttercream - I just put it in a tub, lay a layer of cling wrap right on the surface of the icing, then put the lid on and stick it in the freezer - thaws fairly quickly right on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%