How To Make An Azalea

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 3:13am by Donnabugg

Donnabugg Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #1 of 7

Hi there. Does anyone have step-by-step ideas/suggestions on how to create Azalea flowers? Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
Donnabugg Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

I found this cutter at GlobalSA but how would I use it? I've never made flowers (on this level) out of fondant or gumpaste. Thanks for your help!

Donnabugg Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 7

Anyone? lol

peg818 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 7

well, i not sure what you are asking really. But with that cutter, you would first form your center (what ever is appropriate for this flower, not sure without looking up what they look like) Then you would roll a piece of gum paste very thin and use the cutter to cut it out, vein if you want/need to, then thin the edges with a ball tool.

run a little gum glue up the edge of the cut out and wrap around the premade center to form the flower. Dust as desired.

LateBloomer Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 7

I love the azalea but I don't use those cutters. If you look at the azalea on google you will see that it is almost like an orchid. It has 3 petals joined together and 2 separate petals. They are 'fat round petals' like 3 thumbs.
I would start with the 10 white stamens and longer pistil and using fine fuse wire attach them to taped wire.
Then I would cut out the 3 joined petals and gently flute the edges with a fluting tool. Vein the leaves with a tulip veiner.
Dust the inside of the petal with pink, leaving the edges white. Add the dots to the middel petal and 1/2 of the 2 ajoining petals.
Attach the 3 petals to the stamens with a little glue.
Let it hang upside down over a small sherry glass with the stamens inside the glass.
Cut out the remaining 2 petals..frill edges, shade inside, pinch in the middel to make the leaves slightly pointed. Overlap and stick together with glue then add to the other 3.
Gently pull the wire through a round flower former or apple packaging.
Lift the back two petals with batting or tissue so that they are higher.
When dry attach a small caylex and dust the back centre petals.

DLo912 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 7

I bought that cutter from GSA months ago and have never quite figured out how to use it. LoL.

Donnabugg Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%