Fresh Fruit Filling

Decorating By sweet-n-sassy Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 7:02am by Cake_Mooma

sweet-n-sassy Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 4

i have an order for a wedding cake and they want fresh fruit filling in it. i was thinking i would slice the fruit and put it in a bowl with some sugar and let it sit for a while, but i don't want the juice to make the cake mushy.Would putting a thin layer of buttercream on before i put the fruit in keep the juice out, or should i not put any sugar on the fruit? i've never done fresh fruit in a cake before so any help is appreciated...thanks!

3 replies
Lita829 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 4

I'm guessing that the buttercream layer should help. I made a cake with a sweetened raspberry filling and put a layer of buttercream down and it turned out fine. What kind of fruit do they want as the filling. That would determine if you should add extra sugar.

HTH

kiwigal81 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:36am
post #3 of 4

I don't know if it would suit the cake, but a couple of weeks ago, someone mentioned that they melt jam and brush it on, and when it sets it keeps the filling from soaking into the cake too much.

Cake_Mooma Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:02am
post #4 of 4

BC or jam would work in a thin layer. Now the fruit,I use raspberries and I leave them as is, the same with mandarin oranges and similar fruits, strawberries obviously I slice. look at your fruit and I'm sure you will see which ones will need to be sliced and which ones won't. I don't put any sugar on them, I leave them as is, but that is just me because I don't like sweets, funny huh. So adding sugar to me can make it a little to sweet, but again it can be done and I'm sure people will like it. Hope it helps.

Vic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%