How Much In Advance Can I Bake A Cake?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 12:28am by Spectra

Spectra Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone!

I have my daughter's 4th year birthday party next Saturday and was wondering how early in advance I can bake this cake? I was thinking baking it Thursday and then icing with BC on Friday? Cake doesn't dry out that fast right?

8 replies
jammjenks Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 9

I usually bake on Wed for Sat orders.

Wed - bake, wrap in plastic wrap, leave out at room temp
Thur - fill and ice
Fri - decorate
Sat - deliver or they pick up

I'm not strict on this schedule, but I don't vary from it too much.

Spectra Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

Great, thank you so much!

FloraFlora Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 9

Wednesday is the earliest I bake for Saturday cakes, too.

Bel_Anne Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 9

My schedule is EXACTLY the same as yours Jammjenks! Except, I bake on Wed, wrap in cling film... and pop straight into the freezer. but I only work with mud cakes and that makes for a MOIST cake... icon_smile.gif

But yeah, you can definitely bake in advance. Cake is one of those foods that tends to taste better a couple of days later.... Unless it's sponge.

milly-mel Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 9

should you only ever bake 3 days in advance? i only bake for a hobbie and it takes me alot longer than that for bigger cakes, it took me 6 days to make my daughters castle cake! also i heard that fondant needs to settle for 2 days before eating? i only make sponge

Bel_Anne Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 9

If you're freezing your cakes, you can literally bake weeks in advance. I've only done two wedding cakes so far... but because of the amount of cake needed.. I'll start baking the week before, so I don't have to do it all in one day... Seeing I only have one oven! And if you're carving a cake, it should be partially frozen anyway.. You could literally bake a month in advance if you needed to. Just as long as you freeze. icon_smile.gif

Bel_Anne Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 9

Oh hold on.... sponge.... I don't know about sponge, actually. Haha.

Spectra Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #9 of 9

Oh curious, since it was brought up, I'm doing another cake the week after, first time with fondant and should it settle on the cake for a day or two before it is served?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%