Tips On Making Fondant Curlie-Q's

Decorating By Sun11598 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 2:53am by Melnick

Sun11598 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for a friend for Monday and need tips on doing the fondant curls - I'm assuming they're wrapped around a dowel, but I'm having trouble wrapping and keeping the fondant strip straight.

The cake I'm using for inspiration is this one:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1346581.html

by liz_erin[/img]

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 5

When I make curly cues I use the strip cutter from Fmm I believe.After I cut the strips I lightly dampen the end of a strip and roll it around a pencil,dowel.let the fondant sort of hang and turn the rod around the fondant and then dampen the other end and press down. I leave them over night and then gently twist to loosen and pull them off.HTH

Sun11598 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 5

Ok - that'll help. I was afraid if I got them wet they'd stick to the dowel & not come off!

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 5

Yes..If you get them too wet they will stick but very lightly dampen almost dry damp if that makes sense.

Melnick Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

My BF and I did a cake with these for her daughter this week. It kept slipping to start with so I just put the start point on top and held it with my fingers while I used the other hand to wind it around and then set it down straight away. They only took about 10 mins to start drying in the right shape. Also, don't know if this helps but we used a clay extruder with a rectangle opening disc to make the streamers and it made it so much faster!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%