Need Help Asap!!! Cake Due Tomorrow!!!

Decorating By Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 6:14am by Jolis_Gateaux-2009

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 9

icon_cry.gif
I am just starting to make cakes for the public but have done so for many years for family. I have my first paying cake due tomorrow and feel like I will not get it done now. Let me include that I agreed to this at the beginning of Dec. Since then I have had a thyroidectomy (dec 14) which was out of the blue but had to be done. Recovery has been terrible and exhausting. I thought I would have time to research a few things but haven't. So please any time saving tips and pics are greatly appreciated. (I have never made any under the sea theme before, so this is a first also.)

Theme: Little Mermaid (there were terrific pics here I must add)
Client's Wishes:
1. chocolate buttercream as icing and filling. (done)
2. chololate cake-3 tiers (done)
3. mermaid with red hair and purple tail (I have never hand molded a human figure. Any other easy ways to get her on there?)
4. how to make easy coral, seahorses, shells, etc. (I have no candy molds)

Any thing else you feel will help is much appreciated. I am going to run to walmart and pray for a ariel figure in the meantime.

Thanks so much.

8 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

They should have deco pacs in the bakery just ask to see the Little Mermaid One. That is the only legal way to make a licensed theme and sell the cake.

Coral can be done in piped warm chocolate or RI. Just pipe wiggly sticky like trees and let them dry/harden.

Maybe you could make a plaque.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9

Try an fbct
I have a design I've made using an fbct and some icing shells etc. It is a good design that is not too time consuming
LL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 9

You could use a doll pick from Michael's or Hobby Lobby for the top part of the mermaid then just mold the tail.

Please be careful selling copyright protected cakes....especially Disney.

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9

icon_redface.gif
Thanks for the suggestions! However I live in a very small town with limited resources, so getting the top of a doll isn't fesible at this late hour. I never thought about a plaque. I also never made a fbct before. How is that done giggysmack?

I never knew that copyright enfringment pertained to cakes. I have made "want-to-be" designs or picked up toys to use as toppers before for family. Since I wasn't paid for the cake, does that count?

I found a clearance doll at walmart that is blond. Since my daughters like to color their dolls hair with markers, I'll give it ago with red and orange. It was only $2.00 so it won't be a big loss if it doesn't work. I did pick up another "doll" as back up too.

In the meantime I will start making coral and kelp in RI. I printed a few clip art seahorses to try also.

Anyother suggestions are welcome. And thank you so much for your input.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:03am
post #7 of 9

That is super neat! Its like color flow right? Do you use that recipe or do you have your own? Do you have to thin it any before filling in the spaces?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #8 of 9

Yes, it is similar to color flow. However, you've got the royal out. Why not just use that?

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:14am
post #9 of 9

Apparently my girls do a better job when dying their dolls hair! I was way too drastic and shocking. So plan be is underway to use extra doll. I will try FBCT next time. All extra decorations are drying as well as crumb coat. I wish I could have gotten her to try fondant. Its just so much easier then smoothing BC.

Now I will get some shut eye and wake early before the kids get up to finish. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%