Gum Paste Flower Thread

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm by SliceCakeStudio

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 22

I want to start making these! I just bought Alan Dunn's "Wedding Cake Decorator's Bible."

But I want to hear from all of you any tips, tricks, or advice that will be helpful. I tried to do a simple rose yesterday, but I was rushed and it wasn't working out. Tell me how you do yours! How thin do you roll your gp? What do you cut on? Do you have to buy the "Wilton Foam Mat" or do you use something else?

21 replies
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 22

oooh now you're talking.

I love doing GP anything. icon_lol.gif

I have Alan Dunn's rose book and have seen Wedding Bible. I find them most helpful for inspiration and help arranging but suggest for starting out that you try the tutorial below from Edna. She does lots of flowers on you tube (and also sells dvd's)

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tonedna1&view=videos

You might also find helpful this thread from CC that discusses making roses and has lots of different suggestions and links.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-622934-0.html

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 22

Here's a tutorial on making roses from a lady who teaches at Planet Cake http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2927935625/ (the link to the tutorial is partway down the page in the comments).

The little pink foam pad that Wilton sells is fairly useful. It's a little small for some things but I've gotten a lot of use out of the two that I have. I also make a platform for rose petals from a styrofoam plate with a hole cut in the center, so that I can attach the petals without trying to hold them all in my hand. A foam kneeling pad for gardening makes a good surface for things that you want to indent...lay the pink foam pad on top of it and then put your gumpaste piece on it.

Also, Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe works really well.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 22

When I've misplaced my little foam pad I use the heel of my hand. More than enough padding there LOL.

HarleyDee Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 22

Awesome! Keep 'em coming icon_wink.gif GP anything, not just roses!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 22

I love the foam pads. I didn't invest in a lot of tools yet so I first used the round ends of my old candy thermometer and the back of a spoon. I used those and a bone tool for all the flowers I have made whatever they are called. icon_wink.gif
I think the real trick is watching someone do it and then trying it yourself say half a dozen times... then I just finally got it.

HarleyDee Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 22

What do you all roll your gp out on?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #8 of 22

My glass cutting board for now.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I also make a platform for rose petals from a styrofoam plate with a hole cut in the center, so that I can attach the petals without trying to hold them all in my hand. A foam kneeling pad for gardening makes a good surface for things that you want to indent...lay the pink foam pad on top of it and then put your gumpaste piece on it.

Also, Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe works really well.

Texas Rose - I read your advice about using a plate as a platform from another thread while I was working on roses during my Wilton III course. Thank you for sharing this tip - it was so much easier making the roses!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:16am
post #10 of 22

till I got my crimpers I used the small ice cube tongs with the jaggy edge to grip the ice easier with and it crimped great and is a different design than the crimpers I bought so I might still use it after all.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:21am
post #11 of 22

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/lessons/gproses.htm

The ceramic silk veining tool featured at the above link is a very useful too. You roll it across your petals and it gives them that subtle veined look that really adds realism. They do sell rubber petal veiners that you press onto the petal. But this saves you getting different sizes of those. And I find this gives a better impression.

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #12 of 22

hI,

I'm sorry, but how do I get to the beginning of this thread to find out what is being talked about?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorabell

hI,

I'm sorry, but how do I get to the beginning of this thread to find out what is being talked about?

Lorabell, this is a new thread and as of my post, this one, it is still on page one. All you need to do is start reading at the top of this page. icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

What do you all roll your gp out on?

I have a CelCakes board I use for working small gp pieces. For my large pieces of fondant and gp I have a large nonstick board. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #15 of 22

http://tinyurl.com/ycb5zhe
I use the CelBoards2, 4th one down at the above link. It has ridges. You roll your paste out over the ridges. The paste fills in the ridges leaving thick veins. You cut the petal or leaf so that the thick vein part is in the center of your petal. This makes it easier to thread wires into the petals. The reverse side of the board has no ridges.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #16 of 22

I roll the gumpaste on a piece of vinyl, the same one I use for fondant.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Texas Rose - I read your advice about using a plate as a platform from another thread while I was working on roses during my Wilton III course. Thank you for sharing this tip - it was so much easier making the roses!

Glad it helped icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 22

when doing flowers, for me the basic equipment that i use for every flower/leaf is:

cel board with ridges
good metal ball tool (what ever ball tool you buy make sure it doesn't have a seem)
stiff foam pad (the $1 store garden pads work great)
Japanese paper covered wire (expensive but worth it IMHO)
Then what ever cutter you need for which ever flower you are making

I like Scott Clark Wooley's cutters and veiners, good quality at a reasonable price. i believe his web site is www.cakesbydesign.com

My advice about gumpaste is to start with one flower, then build from there. Perfect one at a time, then move on. It took me a long time to perfect my roses, but they are finally to where i like them. Roses are also a harder flower to master, the easiest i think is the calla lily.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 22

I have a damaged Wiltons three tiered cake stand that I use to hang flowers as the dry, put way too much fruit on a grooms cake bent the frame badly. OOPs

sugartforyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartforyou Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #20 of 22

I love making flowers. As far as tools I go with Peg818. Use the Nicholas Lodge recipe for gumpaste and it really goes a long way if you want really thin and more realistic petals.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #21 of 22

Gee, thanks for starting this thread thumbs_up.gif I just bought that book too!! although I haven't try any of the flowers, but I can't wait!!!

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #22 of 22

Another thing you can use instead of the ball tool is a melon baller!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%