Groom's Cake Help Please

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm by CakeForte

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a groom's cake...stack of three books with Sherlock Holmes titles and then a magnifying glass and pipe on top.

For pricing purposes, I consider this to be a carved cake, but hubby says since I'm really just stacking three 13x9s on top of each other that I should just price as a tiered cake.

Thoughts on this?

I'm planning on the cakes being single layer, covered in fondant. Not sure if I should torte or not. Also, about how many servings do you think? My pricing for sculpted pieces start at $75, but since I haven't done one like this before, don't want to under-quote.

Thanks!

5 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

Personally I would charge about $250 for that. $80 per cake. But then again, I charge by the serving only. It's about 72 servings

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

When I did the stacked books cakes I considered it more to be a stacked cake than a carved cake It's just in rectangle form. If it's a single layer I probably wouldn't bother to torte, but that's just my opinion.

Did they not ask for a certain number of servings? That would tell you more of what to charge. I think a single layer 9 x 13 serves 15 people so your cake should serve 45. (Might be wrong though since I don't have the chart in front of me)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the responses.
They are expecting about 150 but are using just the wedding cake to serve the guests.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 6

9 x 13 single layer would be cut in 2 x 2 x 2 slices so I round up the 9" side would be cut 4 times and the 13" side 6 times for 24 total servings per cake.

I would charge them for 72 servings of cake (not a carved price).

That's a lot of cake for something they won't even serve. Do they want them so big?

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 6

Tiered price w/ a custom design. You aren't really carving anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%