What's Wrong With My Mmf?

Decorating By karukaru Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 5:26am by FlourPots

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone!
I have done MMF 3 times and the first time was almost 2 years ago so I do not remember how it came out (plus I didnt know anything about decorating cakes so I was just winging it). Anyhow, I did 2 batches 3 days ago and one of them came out good and the other one seems kind of dry. I am not sure if its dry or not but its not flexible (like wilton's fondant). WHen I twist it to mix colors it breaks. I used a little more than 2 pounds of sugar in both batches (and 1 pound of marshmellows and 4 table spoons of water) because the fondant was still sticky. WHat did I do wrong? ANy suggestions? I think i did both batches the same way but I obviously made a mistake the second time. I need to do a cake for my friend's daughter next weekend and I would like to use MMF. Thanks for your help!

3 replies
JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 4

When mine breaks that way I just knead in a little bit of shortening at a time until it gets smooth. Hope that helps.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:01am
post #3 of 4

I never use the full 2 lbs of powdered sugar. I use about 1.75 pounds, knead it in really really well, roll it into a ball, coat with crisco and wrap up until morning. At that point it has totally cooled down so I have a better idea of it's consistency. At that point I can knead more powdered sugar in. Better to leave a little out and add in more later than the other way around. Even the next morning I don't need to add very much if any.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 4

I never add water, it makes it too sticky...I add shortening right in to melt with the MM's, and I use 5 cups of powdered sugar for the 10.5 oz. bag of Kraft MM's.
I ALWAYS microwave it before coloring, it blends so much faster that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%