What's Wrong With My Fondant?

Decorating By babydeer115 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm by Loucinda

babydeer115 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a cake for tomorrow for my lil guys 1st birthday. I made the MMF Wednesday night and left it in the fridge till today. I had it wrapped 3 times in saran wrap, and this is what I normally do. When I rolled out the fondant today everything seemed fine, untill I lifted the roll and cut mat and noticed these little holes in it everywhere. It also seemed to stick to the mat more then it usually does. I have another cake to cover and I would like to figure out what the holes are from. Thank you!!

14 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 15

Was that the underside from when you rolled it---the part that was touching the mat? I'm wondering do you lift the fondant & place on the cake or do you roll it out then flip it over top of the cake?

It almost looks like there was something on it when you rolled it out. I know I've had accumlation of cornstarch on my rolling pin that left indentions before, but not sure if this is what happened to yours.

Is it pliable? More than normal, less than normal? You can either add some shortening or ps to help with the sticky aspect. The ps will dry it out some though. But I don't like adding too much shortening b/c it seems to almost smear instead of roll.

Hope you get your answer.

babydeer115 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 15

yes that was the underside from where I rolled it. The side that the rolling pin touched looked great, really nice and smooth. I did not use any ps or cornstarch, I just put a really small coating of shortening on the mat. I guess I am going to just have to cover the other tier and see what happens. Thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 15

I call that "elephant skin" - it is from not kneading the fondant enough. Warm your fondant in the microwave and knead it some more, the holes will disappear then.

Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 15

i dont think its elephant skin, elephant skin often looks like horrible little cracky wrinkley marks, you usually see that on the edges and corners of cakes , But having never made MMF/MFF , i cant comment on what could of caused those marks, unless it was superficial, as in something from your work surface etc.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #6 of 15

That's why I asked if it was the underside. To me elephant skin is more wrinkles/cracks you get when it's dried out too much before you put it on. I'm guessing there was something up w/ your surface you rolled it onto. Even bits of shortening can make indentions

Next time if your top looks good, take a small amount of shortening & smear over the top to keep it from drying out & either put your hands under & lift onto the cake or roll onto a pin & then put onto the cake.

But if you're wanting to roll & flip I would suggest trying to knead a little more next time. Do a trial run & flip, seeing if the underside still looks like this

raquel1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #7 of 15

Do you sift you ps? To me it looks like it needs to be kneaded more, I'm with Loucinda on that. The only time I had a problem that looked like that it was solved by warming it a bit and kneading it

babydeer115 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #8 of 15

Thank you girls so much for the replies, I will say I think that warming and kneading would have taken care of it. I covered my other cake and the same thing happened, so I turned the fondant upside down..LOL. But I was playing with the fondant and the more I played with it the better it was looking. Thanks again for the replies, and thank god it's only for family icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:43am
post #9 of 15

I've had MMF look like that, too. I have no idea what causes it, but it drives me crazy! I'll try kneading it more, see if that helps. I'd be interested in hearing if you ever figure out what to do to fix it.

metria Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #10 of 15

it may also be from the shortening bunching up underneath your fondant as you roll it. i asked a similar question to the forum because i thought it was the mat i was rolling it on to:

babydeer115 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:56am
post #11 of 15

metria- I can't believe how much your fondant looked the same as mine. I only use shortening to roll the fondant, no ps or cornstarch. So the shortening can bunch up even though you rub it really thin and smooth on the mat? Did you figure out what caused that to happen for sure?

mrsmudrash Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:43am
post #12 of 15

I stopped rolling mine out on a mat for that very reason! That's exactly what my MMF looked like on the bottom when I used the vinyl mat. I couldn't get it smooth!! I just dust my counter top with corn starch, roll it out and pick it up and place it on my cake with the rolled/smooth side facing out!! If the fondant piece is really big, I roll it up on my rolling pin, then unroll it onto the cake again with the rolled/smooth side facing out! icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!!

metria Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:25am
post #13 of 15

yup, i quit using shortening on the mat too ... i've been forcing myself to practice rolling it out with cornstarch instead and i havent seen those pockmarks since!

sugarshack Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:52am
post #14 of 15

thats the shortening on nthe mat. try less or none or same amount but A small DUSTING of corbstarch over the shortening.

Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 15

I still use shortning on my mat. I teach cake decorating, so I have seen this a LOT. Warming the fondant and re-kneading it has always fixed the issue. (and I still call it elephant skin! icon_wink.gif the fondant is not "dry" when this happens, it is still supple) I also agree with SS - the mat does not need very much shortning on it at all.

Glad it helped you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%