Swedish People Help Please

Lounge By norma20 Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm by norma20

norma20 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 4

I hope you can clarify it to me. A friend of mine went to Sweden and came back saying that due to the lack of sun light in your country, people specially children have to eat a lot of peppers (not the hot ones, the green or red bell pepper) to compensate it. She saw kids eating bread and peppers at school there.
Is it true?

3 replies
AverageMom Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 4

I don't know about Sweden, but here where I live, we have a lack of sunlight, and we don't eat extra peppers. That sounds odd to me. We DO make sure the children get a vitamin D supplement in the winter. I personally take vitamin D, as well as use a sunlamp every day.

egensinnig Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:20am
post #3 of 4

Ha,ha this made me laugh right out!!!!!!!!! Have you also heard the myths about polar bears walking the streets and that we only have one phone per town?

But I can confirm that a thin slice of pepper or cucumber is a common garnish on a cheese or ham sandwich. But is has nothing to do with lack of sunlight. But kids in Sweden don't get sandwiches at school. They get one free meal and that is at lunch time. And breakfast they eat at home before going to school. So they don't bring a lunch pack or something like that. (Small kids in pree-school do get breakfast and snacks of course)

I think we have the same amount of sunlight - the big difference is that we have darker winters and at summer the night never turns really dark.

This could perhaps be a misunderstanding also due to language...

norma20 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for clarifying that to me. I also tought that that could have being a language misunderstanding. Also, I have a son living in Denmark and he had never heard such a thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%