Bowling Pin--Structural Help!

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm by FrostedFantasies

FrostedFantasies Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:01am
post #1 of 4

So I have a bowling ball and pin set due tomorrow morning. Used the ball cake and make a bunch of 6 inch rounds (and a few smaller ones) to create the pin. The pin itself is about 14 inches tall.
DH got thick plywood and screwed a thick dowel to the bottom, with only about three inches above the board. My thought process was that one dowel all the way through the pin would not prevent the layers from compressing themselves on each other, even though I am using cake boards every two layers. So I have (had) dowel supporting cardboard w/ two layers, dowel inside that and then repeat.
Problem is there is not ONE piece all the way through, and the top half fell off. (I didn't cry---yet! ) icon_cry.gif
How can I structurally support this cake? Aaaahhhhhhh!!!
Please help!

3 replies
cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:34am
post #2 of 4

I wish I could help. When we did a bowling pin, we gave up using cake and ended up making the pin out of RKT and covering it with fondant. The ball, and bowling alley were cake, but not the pin.

Good luck, I'd love to know how you make out.

obabassa Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #3 of 4

I agree with cownsj. I would save myself the stress and work and do the pins out of rice krispie treats and the ball and lane out of cake.

FrostedFantasies Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies! They wanted both out of cake, soooooo....
After I posted this I went to bed, intending to get up early and working on the cake....I went out to my cake fridge and it had fallen AGAIN!
So husband took out smaller dowel and screwed in one long piece. I took apart the other "fallen" cake and salvaged what I could.
The bottom was fancy foil-covered plywood with a 1/2 inch diameter dowel screwed in from the bottom. (No cake on the bottom--it was a very "small" order.)
I layered five 6-inch rounds and three smaller rounds, all with buttercream in between. Then I carved it free-hand. That was the toughest part! Covered it in buttercream with red fondant bands around the neck of the pin.
They were happy with the result, but it was not a cake I enjoyed making.

Quote by @%username% on %date%