leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 29

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

28 replies
leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 29

No cakes for me tonight. I have a medium sized wedding show on Friday, so I neeed to repair a dummy tomorrow, make a groom's cake dummy and bake some samples, then haul everything over to the venue. "Piece of cake."

leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 29

Oh! remember I mentioned in another thread a week or so ago that our car was stolen right out of our driveway? Well the police found it abandoned, and we got it back this morning.

And it wasn't harmed, other than had a lot of trash in it and a dead battery and no gas.

leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #4 of 29

Are you guys gonna make me talk to myself?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #5 of 29

I am not doing anything as far as caking is tonight....not a surprise but I am glad to hear that your car was found.

jammjenks Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 29

Well, I've had a bad baking day. Baked a 10" red velvet tier yesterday for the bottom of a baby shower cake. One layer fell apart in my hand when I moved it from the cooling rack to wrap it in plastic wrap. Got up this morning and baked it again. This time, I pulled out the wrong pan and baked a 9" instead of 10". Third time was the charm and I finally got it done. It is beautiful and I just have to add the bow topper in the morning.

I did two other cakes today and all's left is a 11X15 that I am procrastinating on. It is iced, but not decorated. DH wants to watch a movie, so I'm going to get up in the morning and finish the sheet cake.

DD has a basketball game at 10:00 and both customers are picking up at noon, so I guess I'd better be on my game, huh?

bethola Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 29

No cakes for me until July. I'm on "Sweet Sabbatical"!

newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 29

Just got done watching an old black and white movie but made snickerdoodle cupcakes earlier today. Here's a link to the blog with the recipe for anyone who's interested. http://alpineberry.blogspot.com/ . Just scroll through until you find the recipe - lots of delicious looking items here. Cakes, pies, tarts, cupcakes, bread...

I just added a couple T. of cinnamon to my regular buttercream recipe for the icing and it was terrific.

Oh - and I called to wish my dad a happy 74th birthday!

tannersmom Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 29

I haven't been on CC in a while and boy have I missed it.
I don't have any cakes to do this weekend but I have a Mountain Dew bottle cake for the following week. It will be my first. It has to be shaped like a 2 liter bottle. Not sure if I can do it or not.

leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #10 of 29

This just isn't our busy season is it?

tannersmom Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:12am
post #11 of 29

It has been slow, for me anyway. I have several scheduled for the spring and summer. Anyone else feeling the slump???

cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #12 of 29

Since I moved I don't have a cake to be slumped about LOL but it is just give me time to get things together

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #13 of 29

Butterflies, lots of butterflies. Cake dummies, lots of cake dummies.

Makeitmemorable Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #14 of 29

I am not taking any orders for Jan - it's just too hot to cook and too busy with the holidays. I have orders lined up for Feb and march at this stage. I have had a few requests for January but said I was not available.

I have quite enjoyed having the last few Friday nights to myself ! LOL I am making a cake for my niece for Tues (Nightmare before Christmas) but only because she's family !!

Enjoy the the quite time...... it won't last !

Lorieann55 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #15 of 29

Spent the evening putting together a couple of deli trays for my neighbor's funeral tomorrow icon_sad.gif He was only 52 and had a massive heart attack.

My next cakes are at the end of the month. They are both birthday cakes, one for my oldest son who turns 30, (OMG he'll be 30!!!!), and the other for my DH. Not sure what I'm doing for either one at this point. I have to go to the picture gallery and get inspired.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #16 of 29

And Leah_s that is great your car was intact. How lucky. My friend had his car stolen. It was found on cinder blocks.

cakeaddictunite Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:59am
post #17 of 29

just hanging out with my son tonight. icon_twisted.gif trying to get up enough nerve to try fondant this weekend icon_rolleyes.gif

DefyGravity Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:01am
post #18 of 29

No cakes this weekend, but I do have one for next week! I spent about an hour at the cake shop today talking to the owner and trying to figure out how to spend gift certificates I got for Christmas. She is taking a class with Nicholas Lodge in March, and I'm more than a little jealous, haha.

She's trying to find someone to come in and do gumpaste flower classes, so I hope enough people in the area are interested!

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #19 of 29

Another Les PAul guitar replica and my gramma's 80th bday cake. I'm going topsy turvy, but mismaeasured the bases so didn't get the best tapering. Don't think it'll be very noticeable once the fondant goes on. Can't wait to use the cricket I got for xmas to do the lettering. It's gonna be decorated with daisies and I have made 3 gp daisies to look like they're growing from the top tier

cakesbycathy Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #20 of 29

I feel like the exception. This is my busiest January ever! One wedding and the rest are big kids birthday orders.

Just finished a giant Tiffany's box. Now working on a 3 tier 1st birthday. Pink. purple, green. Very girly. The birthday girl is the only girl on both sides for a couple of generations. She gets a WOW! cake icon_smile.gif

BMartin Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #21 of 29

I'm working on a baby shower cake for my middle daughters BB shower.
It is going to be a Diaper Bag cake with the bottle shoes and keys.
I've got it carved and needed a Diet Dr. Pepper before putting on the fondant. So wish me luck!!!!!
I have done a pocket book cake before. I hope this turns out just as lovely.
I took December off (only did 3 cakes). But now I'm booked thru the first week in March. I have a full time job and just do cakes on the side (hobby) but it seems like I have two jobs some times. My 40 hr. and my dream job!!!!

Jaime3679 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:37am
post #22 of 29

I made three cakes today. A paint themed cake for a little girls pottery painting party, a huge hamburger, and a mickey mouse cake. We have 3 more to do next week and are pretty booked until the middle of march.

_Jamie_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:47am
post #23 of 29

3 tiers iced, 3 to go....on my hopefully last double batch of SMBC now. Holy crap, this one is doing a number on my back.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:06am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

3 tiers iced, 3 to go....on my hopefully last double batch of SMBC now. Holy crap, this one is doing a number on my back.

Well you know your an old, MARRIED woman now. icon_wink.gif

totallycaked Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #25 of 29

Just found out my nephew and family is coming over tomorrow to celebrate his 16th birthday. It is now about 10 pm and just now baking. He is a huge music lover and plays guitar. I wanted to make a guitar but with short notice there is no way. I am going to try to muddle out a so so marshall amp... I hope he likes it ... any reason to have cake ! Happy Friday!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:11am
post #26 of 29

Two zebra cakes for a joint 13th birthday party. The girls wanted identical cakes, one trimmed in pink the other in orange. Delivered them tonight and now I'm working on a three tiered cake for my daughter icon_smile.gif

Mrs-A Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:30am
post #27 of 29

((waving)) hello... i got a new cake book today and my KA arrived yesterday (yeah) but i need KA for dummies

to mix a ordinary old fashion cake mix, do i use the flat beater? i watched the video and she made everything but a simple cake icon_redface.gif

cake_mama6115 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:48am
post #28 of 29

Just started making cakes as more then a hobby. icon_biggrin.gif I will be making a cake for the Olympic Torch when it comes through our town. A little bit nervous about this one because it has to be so big ond I haven't made many large cakes. Atleast I know how I want it to come out, so there's one less thing to worry about.

newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

((waving)) hello... i got a new cake book today and my KA arrived yesterday (yeah) but i need KA for dummies

to mix a ordinary old fashion cake mix, do i use the flat beater?

That's what I use for cake mixes - the flat beater.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%