Scaling Back, How Would You Do This?

Business By Lenette Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm by TexasSugar

Lenette Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 8

I am scaling back on the business so I can finish school. And I am feeling burned out a bit too.

My phone bill is ridiculous and I would like to eliminate it but that is the number that has been on every piece of literature I have given out in five years.

Is there any way to cut off the phone without completely shooting myself in the foot?

I have a cell phone but don't necessarily want to plaster that number everywhere. I am not yet ready to 100% give up the biz, I have orders through next fall. At this point I am not taking new orders, I am even thinking of canceling consults I have scheduled for next month.

I'm just tired of chasing this. But I have thousands of dollars invested that I don't want to throw away. GAAAH! I feel like I am on a hamster wheel.

I don't want to do it but I spent all this money and I have to keep spending (phone, insurance, renew HD license, etc). Maybe if I just take a break...

Still have this ridiculous phone bill though, it avgs about $80 a month with voicemail and long distance.

Does anyone have advice for me after this long and rambly post? icon_smile.gif

7 replies
cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 8

How about possibly scaling your phone service back to just basic service? Double check with your phone service and be sure the savings will be worth it. Or get cable phone and switch the number over. Then get an old fashioned answering machine and put a message on it that you are not available to take any calls at the moment, please send me an email at: ...... and put your email address in the message. If your cell phone company has free calls after 7 pm, you can let people know too that they will get a call back between the hours of 7 and 9 if that works for them.

snarkybaker Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 8

Switch your phone to Vonage. It is $20 a month including voicemail etc... It even emails you your voice mails so you can check them at school.

KoryAK Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #4 of 8

Maybe you can change the line to voicemail only... I did that once with a new number. You can call in a check the VM and then call back on whatever line you use for the rest of your life. Or maybe a multi-distinctive ringtone on the main phone line and switch the business number onto that?

KoryAK Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #5 of 8

And the other best way for scaling back is to CHARGE.MORE.MONEY. There will be less orders and you will be making enough that you won't hate doing them!

Deb_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by KoryAK

And the other best way for scaling back is to CHARGE.MORE.MONEY. There will be less orders and you will be making enough that you won't hate doing them!

Yup switch your phone to Vonage and up your prices.

Good luck with school!

dreamcakesmom Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

I too am in school, have p/t job, have 2 small children and do cakes on my own to try and build up potential clients so I feel for you in term of feeling burnt out. Not sure where you live but sometimes bundling services like cable, internet, and cable can be cheaper as well.

Totally agree with opther posters that increase your pricing. A. will limit your orders but 2 will bring you a client base that clearly is willing and able to pay for custom cake.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 8

I'd call the phone company and see if you can have your billing plan changed. If you don't need the LD get rid of that. Can you get an answer machine instead of voice mail? You can get a basic service for $20-$30 a month with no frills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%